Help bending tube both round and square!

I hope some of you good people can help me with this one.

If you have a hydraulic pipe bender, could you tell me what the bending radius is for 25 mm approx. mild steel tube.

I am trying to source 25 mm dia. circular tube 2.5 mm wall thickness and find what its bending radius might be.

Also trying to see if 25 mm square section tube can be bent and over what size radius.

If any one does this type of thing then an idea of how would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Nearest BSP/nominal ID tube will be 3/4", I'm not going to look up actual OD at this time of night but if that's of interest I can check bending radius tomorrow.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Talk to Paul Ashwell at Protopipe in Coventry, they make our mobile charger handles for us and have NC bending facilities.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

OD for 3/4" NB tube is around 26.4 mm OD, it comes (or used to) in three wall thicknesses. Can't find a reference for that just now, but I'm guessing that 'light' isn't far off 2.5mm wall. That'll have a welded seam. That should be very easy to obtain.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Swagelok show a rad of 82 mm for 25 od

Reply to
njf>badge

"njf>badgerbadger

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Richard, Any pics of your dies for square tube? I have a Hilmor bender that does 1" round tubes quite nicely, but I'd be interested to see what you 've done to bend the sqare tube successfully.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

John.LloydUNSPAM

I would also be interested in any pictures.

Also I have no idea on what a Hilmor Bender is or looks like.

I watched one of the American Chopper programmes the last night and saw a tube bender in use. This seemed to be a hydraulic device, tube was clamped at one end whilst the tube ran against a die wheel. A guide roller was holding the tube to the die at the free end. The die was rotated taking the fixed clamp with it whilst the roller allowed the tube to wrap around the die. Is this a Hilmor type bender.

Another bender I have seen seems to be a stage bender, where you bend one bit a little amount, feed a bit more pipe in then bend the next bit and so on, is that a Hilmor?

I must admit to just going for the Hydraulic press bender type of device.

I would really like to be able the square tube with some success. Further studies have shown that many items built of Square tube have the inside edge swagged inward. I am guessing this may have been done on a set of rolls or similar to get the tight bends in the square tube.

Again wanting to learn more about such things but do not have the funds to go for the big machinery, so advice on using a 4 inch inside radius die with 25 mm sides and smaller but similar rollers in a press bender would be appreciated.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Adrian,

Sadly a Hilmor is nothing like that wonder machine they have in American Chopper! (I wish to God they'd show more of the work & tools & less of the personalities in that show - & almost every other one too actually!)

The following is a link to a picture:-

This works well in conduit sized tubes, but I think for square tube you'd have to buckle the inside wall & I'd like to see how Richard does that or indeed if he needs to?