The whys and wherefores of tube bending

There has been some discussion on tube bending here. Clearly there is a difference in types of tools for pipe vs. tube bending as some have found out the hard way. But even with tube benders there are a lot of factors involved which determine the feasibility and outcome of a tube bend.

I've found a few web page that goes into some detail about tube bending. These have helped me a lot in understanding the ins and outs of this complicated process. I've learned how the tube wall thickness, the material as well as the radius of the bend plays into whether you need a mandrel bender or not. Translation: is it a cheap bend (and one you can do yourself with a reasonably priced tool) or a very expensive bend (using machinery costing thousands of dollars)?

Comments welcome. Lane

Reply to
Lane