Starting Over

I soldered some pieces of copper (2" x 4") together, but I ended up with too much solder in some places and solder on the wrong side of the copper that I do not want showing. I have a new idea of how do this cleaner and want to take it all apart and start over again. I have used a solder sucker, but it does not pick up much solder at a time. I also have very thin shiny places that don't seem to melt at all. My theory is that this solder has been melted multiple times and the tin has left so it is mostly lead with a higher melting point that I can't melt with my 80 watt iron or my little torch. I have had the best success when I put a small torch on the solder and then tap the copper on a bucket when the solder melts and let the solder drip off into the bucket. I am thinking of getting a bigger torch and melting it off that way hoping that I can melt the thin solder with a bigger torch.

Has anyone used muriatic acid or glacial acetic acid to remove solder? Am I better off spending $15 for new copper and starting over again?

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Joatman71

My theory is that everything is dirty and corroded, including the solder.

Brush everything shiny, then re-flux the whole mess, and your solder should flow again.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Wipe the molten solder off with a cotton rag or cellulose sponge. The remaining solder layer should be thin enough to scrape or sand through.

JimW

Reply to
jim.wilkins

If it was me, I'd wipe it with steel wool (after heating). I'd also invest in a standard size propane torch from the local store. It might cost a bit more than $15 but is a tool that is good to have. Try to heat it on something that won't suck the heat out, like a fire brick.

The comment about a bit more flux should help too.

Reply to
xray