Starting Over

I soldered some pieces of copper (2" x 4") together, but I ended up
with too much solder in some places and solder on the wrong side of the
copper that I do not want showing. I have a new idea of how do this
cleaner and want to take it all apart and start over again. I have
used a solder sucker, but it does not pick up much solder at a time. I
also have very thin shiny places that don't seem to melt at all. My
theory is that this solder has been melted multiple times and the tin
has left so it is mostly lead with a higher melting point that I
can't melt with my 80 watt iron or my little torch. I have had the
best success when I put a small torch on the solder and then tap the
copper on a bucket when the solder melts and let the solder drip off
into the bucket. I am thinking of getting a bigger torch and melting
it off that way hoping that I can melt the thin solder with a bigger
torch.
Has anyone used muriatic acid or glacial acetic acid to remove solder?
Am I better off spending $15 for new copper and starting over again?
Thanks,
Scott
Reply to
Joatman71
My theory is that everything is dirty and corroded, including the solder.
Brush everything shiny, then re-flux the whole mess, and your solder should flow again.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Wipe the molten solder off with a cotton rag or cellulose sponge. The remaining solder layer should be thin enough to scrape or sand through.
JimW
Reply to
jim.wilkins
If it was me, I'd wipe it with steel wool (after heating). I'd also invest in a standard size propane torch from the local store. It might cost a bit more than $15 but is a tool that is good to have. Try to heat it on something that won't suck the heat out, like a fire brick.
The comment about a bit more flux should help too.
Reply to
xray