Starting the World Over on Giligan's Island

A Friend and I are interested in how people would recreate our
everyday technology if we had to go back to the stone age or to
giligan's island. What would be the first priorities in recreating
our electronic and mechanical tools? We were talking about glass,
mining metals, creating rudimentary computers. A lathe would be a
crowning achievement.
Does anybody have any ideas? What would you do if you were the
professer on Giligan's Island?
Thanks,
Dubs
Reply to
Dubs
Make a list of the resources available, and then make survival equipment (shelter, knife, fishing equipment, etc.). Ken
Reply to
Ken Vale
Assuming subsistence was taken care of with available food and whatever medicines might be available from local plants and so on.. well, I suppose it depends on what you wanted to do. If you wanted to escape, then making a boat or perhaps flares might be high on the agenda. If you just wanted to fiddle around for years making tools to build tools, then finding metal such as iron would probably be the most important thing. Furnace in the side of a hill to reduce the ore (assuming there is fuel and ore available)?
I think I'd be a *lot* more friendly with Mary Anne than he was.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
I'd immediately start working on Ginger and Mary Ann.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Yup, definitely jump Mary Ann's bones. That's a priority.
Jim
jim rozen
My sentiments exactly...
Jon
Reply to
Jon Anderson
Hope you like older women Jim..... Cause she would be close to 60 by now I would presume
According to the link above..... Mary Ann was a state beauty queen in 1960.
So if she was 18 then, she would be about 61 or older by now.
Reply to
Trivial Quizz
But I bet she's one fine lookin 60 year old!
Actually I believe I saw her on one of those 'E true hollywood stories' and Dawn wells did look VERY good for her age.
Ahh, the miracles of plastic.
Reply to
RyPhil
Security is a prerequisite; without it all effort is futile. Black powder is the crucial innovation. First, with it you defeat enemies with castles, armor, horses, bigger muscles, etc. Second, it lets you mine massive quantities of ores and fuel to feed industry.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
Just for fun, a year or two ago, I actually bid US$600 on ebay (to go to a charity) to have lunch with Ms. Wells (FOB Los Angeles). I was outbid, as expected.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
If I was the professor on Gilligan's island I would get a new agent. He was written out of the theme song in the second season.
ff
Reply to
ff
Heck. 60s not *that* old!
Jim
jim rozen
I'm sure this isn't what you have in mind, but an essay I read back in the 1960's, which I think was referenced in the Whole Earth Catalog, said that mining and smelting bronze or iron should be first. Then you could develop casting, after which you could cast cannon so you could take over other islands and rob their technology.
Just a thought...
Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
would get rid of the gilligan, the millionaire, his wife, the skipper too, and keep the movie star and mary ann all for myself.... tell them that the new civilization need two women for each man.........
Reply to
jim
I imagine the highest priority would be given to brewing, fermenting or distilling alcoholic beverages. Growing of drug producing plants would be a possibility.
Once the inhabitants of the island and other islands are sufficiently pacified, introduce taxation, consumerism, and patriotism to get the masses to do the heavy work for you.
ff
Reply to
ff
--Google on a TV show called "Rough Science". Very neat and covers quite a few topics along these lines.
Reply to
steamer
You can buy Mary Ann's shorts on her web site.
wws
Reply to
wws
"Professor" is too hard to sing and make it sound right, about the only thing that rhymes with it is "compressor", also hard to write into a song.
Tom
Reply to
Tom
I suspect that if you could even find iron ore buried under a tropical island, you would likely dig away enough of the island to make it into a pond before you got enough ore to pour a cannon?? Lot's of sand though, you could probably make a glass cannon, assuming of course you didn't burn up all the trees on the island trying to make a hot enough fire.
Tom
Reply to
Tom
This is an interesting question, which reminds me of a course I took about 20 years ago - back when survivalism was a fringe element. We spent an entire semester rebuilding society after a fictional plague had killed 99.9% of humanity. In addition to deciding where to live we also had to decide *how* to live, eventually breaking into several groups because we wanted different values, levels of technology, etc. It was the ultimate Role Playing Game (RPG.)
Does anyone know if there is such an RPG out there along these lines?
Oh, here's what I would do on G's I:
Water purification/storage - food gathering/harvesting/storage - shelter - signalling, then...
I'm pretty sure that iron ore would be out of the question on a Pacific island, so metal machines would be tough. Same for pottery (no clay.) I would probably start working on ways to develop a furnace to produce glass for a variety of uses, including storage vessels, weapons, lenses, etc.
Reply to
michaeltcooper