Gleason's differential

Hi all, Hope this is the correct ng to ask. I am trying to find details and/or drawings for this type of diff. It uses worm wheels and worm gears in place of the normal gears. Have only been able to find artist impressions on web sites via Google search. ie

point me to other sites please. Regards GeoffH Norfolk - UK

Reply to
GeoffH

Sounds like the Model "A" Ford. {dating myself}

Reply to
Walt LeRoy

Are you thinking of the Torsen differential made by Gleason? It doesn't use true worm gears, but something called Invex gears. It is different than a standard automotive unit. See

will find plenty more.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

This is the company currently making them using the brand name Torsen:

Some tech info here:

I suspect they don't give out their valuable production drawings, but I think you could find the patent online at the US Patent office.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

Perhaps you need to look further back in time as this style of differential was on the market in 1918 as the Walter Positive Drive Differential, Gleason, as a gear maker have just resurrected it.

Tom Remove the underline..

Reply to
Tom

Goeff, Ford Model TT trucks had that style of rear axle drive those trucks were built from 10's thru 1927

Take care! tt

Reply to
Terry Thorne

You're confusing a worm drive rear axle (Ford TT) with a rear axle which used worm gears instead of bevel gears in the differential. The Ford used bevel gears in the differential part of the rear axle.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom t snipped-for-privacy@xtra.co.nz

Hi, Tom, The basic, three-gear, bevel-gear differential shows up in early 1810-30 textile machinery, which "may" have been its origin (for retarding bobbin winding speed), at least for that particular industry. Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

Gidday Frank

The differential in question does not use bevels in it's construction. By using worm & spiral gears in the differential action and using such a lead on the worm gears so that the spiral could not drive the worm gears, this enabled both axles to be driven positively when one wheel lost traction. An automatic traction control at a time when others were relying on mechanical engagement of diff locks.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I got a great (seems to me anyway) book on "Gear Cutting and Practice"

1937 Colvin and Stanley - Reprinted by Lindsay Publications.

THis shows charts and settings - how to make and cut - how to make hobbs ..... It is over 300 pages with pictures.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Reply to