A worm wheel & differential unit - ME photo

Hi all, Model Engineer Issue 4209 page 621 shows a photo of a worm wheel and differential unit for a Foden Six Speed wagon. Anyone know where I can get details of this or similar. Have had a couple of replies to a request for information on rec.crafts.metalworking. A Google search produced a few sites, but nothing I can use without a lot of CAD work. It's just too close to Xmas to put my poor brain through this amount of strain right now :-) Is this diff unit likely to be 'easier' to make compared to a normal diff? Regards GeoffH Norfolk, UK

Reply to
GeoffH

I replied to you on RCM, but I'm beginning to wonder if you know what you want. At first you were inquiring about Torsen differentials which incorporate worm gears, now it appears as if you are inquiring about worm drive axles incorporating a differential. If it is the latter, then they are easier to make than say a spiral bevel drive axle. Look up worm drive reduction boxes... As for making the differential gear, one with straight spur gears like the early Austin Sevens would be the easiest to make. If you want some more info & pics mail me off list.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

"> Hi all,

Geoff

A number of prewar vehicles used worm and wheel diffs - largely because it allowed a lower floor level in the rear - something that front wheel drive now allows. More recently the everlasting Peugeot 403/404 had a worm drive back axle.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Hello Tom, Thanks for your reply to this and in the other ng.

I was and still am interested in all alternative diffs to the standard. As soon as my house move is done and I've settled in, I will spend time with my CAD software and design one using the replies I got on RCM. I have downloaded some of the diagrams from the various websites mentioned

Then I saw the photo in ME and it looked interesting. I would very much like to compare how the two work, especiall in miniature sizes.

Thanks Tom. Have sent an email. Regards GeoffH Norfolk - UK

Reply to
GeoffH

Thanks Charles. Will peruse the site. Regards GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

The BSA three wheeler and 4-wheel Scout sports cars of the 1930's had worm and wheel diffs with spur gears. The worm was case hardened steel and the wheel was bronze. I can send a coup;le of diagrams if wanted.The broze wheel is quite a massive thing in a diff, even for a small low-powered engine.

Dave (UK)

Reply to
speedy2

Sunbeam S7 and S7 shaft drive motor cycles are another example - made with worm and wheel as that was the equipment available left over from pre-war car production though used from 1947 to about 1953/4 to make Sunbeams. Incidentqlly they had to de-rate the engine (was cross flow but moded to carb and exhaust on same side) as the original engine was too powerful for the worm & wheel.

Andrew Mawson (proud owner of a 1953 S8)

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

Can I have a go mister?

:^)

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

On yer bike !

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

I'd offer you a blat on my Enfield 500 caff racer in exchange. Or the GoldWing, or the ZZR1100. Your choice. ;^)

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Din't know they had caff's in India, init

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Thanks Dave. Would appreciate copies. Have sent email. Cheers GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

In article , John Stevenson writes

Well, OK. It's more of a Curry House Racer.

Nigel Eaton

Vindaloo or Koorma?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

In article , Tony Jeffree writes

I like to think Balti. With Pillaw rice and a plain nan.

Bugger, I want one now...

Reply to
Nigel Eaton