worm gears

Hello, could anyone point me to a source for small worm gears and wheels in 40:1-60:1 range? I am in Canada and I have tried all the hobby shops and radio control shops in my area. Thank you.

Reply to
idundidit

Google for Boston Gear or Small Parts Inc.

Bring cash! Not cheap. Buy direct, and possibly save the markup that the local dist. puts on it. Likely is that they are buying from Boston themselves.

Not exactly hobby shop kind of stuff.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I used to use these guys years ago. Never had a problem with them.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Try Motion Industries. They have a location in Toronto on Queens Quay.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Stock Drive Products (SDP) aka: Sterling Instruments is my pic. RichD

Reply to
cmsteam

Do you have a lathe? In the sizes you are looking for, and the loads they will be capable of bearing, you can make your own using a tap as the gear hob. If you have a lathe let us know. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Can you get a copy of the Boston Gear catalog?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's interesting. Do you have any pics of a setup for that? I have some ideas but I usually figure out the hardest way to do something.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Doesn't Tamiya make worm gear reducer? I could be wrong... I know thay make a planitary-gear reducer, and that might work for you. It's a kit and you can stack the planetery gears to adjust the amount of reduction.

This is probably not what you're looking for, but if you want to scrounge for parts, maybe you could scavange one out of an old skil-saw?

If you're interested in *making* a worm-gear drive, I've seen instructions on how to do it using all-thread and a regular tap. It was on a telescope making sight. You might try asking around a telescope making forum, too.

Just some thoughts...

Reply to
jpolaski

No pics. Others here have done this and they may though. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Try a look at

Cheers Trevor Jones