Steam/pressure question

I am thinking about making an espresso maker and one of the design considerations is the ability to tightly control the temperature of the water as it is forced through the coffee. It appears that one of the week points of the current designs is the lack of thermal stability of the brew head.

As water flows through the head, there is a heat loss from the water to the brew head so it is hard to maintain a stable water temp.

To address this I want to introduce water hotter than the desired temperature into a holding chamber attached to the brew head and allow the bleed off heat to soak into the brew head while the water is cooling to the optimum brew temperature.

To further complicate matters, the coffee extraction process relies on a stable pressure as the water is forced through the coffee, so I want to use regulated air or gas pressure to be able to give me a easily adjustable and steady pressure.

Now to my question. Since the optimal extraction temperature is just under the boiling point, I suspect the heat loss will be such that starting with boiling water will not be hot enough, so I want water hotter than boiling to start with. This will require heating the water under pressure.

What I need to know is the relationship between pressure and temperature. Lets say I wanted to get the water to 225F. How much pressure would there need to be to raise the boiling point of water to 225F? I figured one of the many steam engine buffs here would know.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

adjustable and

starting with

temperature.

From the steam tables, 20 psia is 227.96 degrees

220 deg is 17.186 psia 230 deg is 20.779 psia

Note these are absolute pressures...

Reply to
Rick

For your interest, some of the best quality espresso machines (e.g., Faema) use an electric pump to pressurise cold water, which is then fed through a heat exchanger before it reaches the brew head. The water in the boiler acts as a heat reservoir but doesn't actually end up in the coffee. If you search for a history of the Faema company online you should find more information. There was also a Faema dealer who had many detailed pictures of Faema machine parts online, but I'm afraid I can't remember the address right now.

I've always hankered after a Faema E 61, but can't afford it. Maybe one day I will pick up a broken one and restore it.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Does absolute pressure mean that gage pressure is in addition to atmospheric pressure? In other words when 5 PSI was indicated on a the pressure vessel gage then water boiling inside would be about 230F?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

What I am looking for is the ability to have a machine that is able to squirt water through coffee at what ever temperature I want and what ever pressure I want. Commercially available machines have several drawbacks, the price is one and the "tweakability" is another.

I built a roaster I cobbled together out of a scrap gas BBQ grill and now I want to build something that will give me a brew that tastes as good as my beans smell.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^ In other words when 5 PSI was indicated on a the pressure vessel gage then water boiling inside would be about 230F? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ No. 230 degrees occurs at 20.8 psia, which is 6.1 psig. (not 5 psig.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yes BUT! It also depends on "where" you are. Frinstance at Albuquerque we are at a little over 5000 ft so the "atmosphereic" pressure is lower by quite a bit than say LA or DC etc. (sea level) Just to keep all you "hair splitters" honest. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

I dug out my 1966 Thermo textbook, and according to the steam tables in the back of it,water boils at 225 degrees F. if it is at an absolute temp of

18.983 PSI. That is a gauge pressure of 4.287 PSI. Good luck on maintaining that last decimal place.

Tom Miller

Reply to
Tom Miller