Ignoramus's power washer

Hi,

Just had a look at your other projects after reading your post about the boat trailer guide. I noticed your problem with the power washer engine varying in speed, or "hunting". I had the same problem with a B&S 8.5 hp engine last month, and every so often the engine would stop completely. I tried just about everything possible without dismantling, but with no success. In the end a friend and I reluctantly took the carburettor apart and discovered the problem. The engine had stood for a while and had obviously been filled with bad (water contaminated) petrol. The water had caused corrosion inside the carburettor bowl and as the petrol had evaporated it had left some sediment in the tank and pipes too. Every so often a piece of crud would block the carburettor jet or cause the float to jam, which made the engine slow down. If the piece of crud came free, the engine would speed up again, otherwise it would stop. I left the dirty parts of the carburettor soaking in xylene for a while, then cleaned them up with a little brass brush. Now the engine works fine again.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Just another thought. If the speed varies with a very regular period of

6 seconds, I doubt it will be a "crud problem". Crud problems will cause more random variations in speed. In this case you might want to take a look at the governor mechanism, but I can't really help here as I've never disassembled a B&S governor.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks. I will save your post and perhaps one day look into the carb. As of now, it works relatively acceptably, perhaos something did come free and then dislodged, as you mentioned. I appreciate you thinking about me.

Ignoramus26696

No problem. If it works, let it be. I was hoping after a few minutes running this would happen with my engine, but it was just too crudded up and I had to clean it by hand.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Ignoramus26696 wrote: > Thanks. I will save your post and perhaps one day look into the > carb. As of now, it works relatively acceptably, perhaos something did > come free and then dislodged, as you mentioned. I appreciate you > thinking about me. >

No problem. If it works, let it be. I was hoping after a few minutes running this would happen with my engine, but it was just too crudded up and I had to clean it by hand.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks. This is actually a nicely working power washer, it cleans up cement very well.

Ignoramus26696

Also caused by a lean carb mix.

Reply to
Steve W.