Step Down 240V to 208V

OK, now I get it. BTW I have a open delta, 120/240 three phase here with the hot leg.

Never saw a 240 Volt closed Delta service. Around here true three phase is 120/208 or 277/480.

I have an old building in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

You have two hot legs and one high leg (Power leg, wild leg, or stinger). And one neutral. I prefer power leg. If I were to change out your service, the first thing I would do is check rotation at the service entrance with a phase sequence indicator and write it in the panel. Marking the position of the hot legs with an H and the power leg with a P and a CW for clock wise or a CCW for counter-clock wise. Also the date and my initials. I would check it again after I changed out the service, before I told the customer he could close his main.

If you have an Open Delta bank, you have true 3 phase. This connection is relatively inefficient where three-phase loads predominate since it has only 86.6% of the rating of the two units making up the three-phase bank. It also has only 57.7% of the three-phase rating of a closed delta bank of three units.

Don

Reply to
Don Murray

How do you center ground a delta?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Reply to
Ron Moore

I do not consider my Open Delta a true 3ph, as only the wild leg is

120 deg out of phase with the others. Although I'm sure it's better than the old rotary phase converter I had.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy you should go to

and take a look at the Open-Wye Open-Delta 120/240V at the bottom you will see phase angels and they are all 120 deg apart. You will see one side of the delta is gone but a,b & c phase are 120 deg apart. That Open-Wye Open-Delta 120/240V bank I show there has a 210 deg angular displacement.

Don

Reply to
Don Murray

Hi Group,

Thanks for all the informed replies to my question. I contacted Blodgett, the oven manufacturer and they said that replacing the heating elements would be the way to go.

I did learn an lot about delta and wye 3 phase from your replies!

Chuck

Reply to
roninchuck