Strange pneumatic valve I ran into last night

I was troubleshooting a clamping system this morning and notice that the 3 position air valve didn't bleed pressure off even though it was clearly marked as one that bleed A and B when centered.

I traced things out to a manifold block that seems to be able to balance out pressure on both sides of the clamping cylinder when the pneumatic valve is centered.

It is rather impressive how somewhere between 0 and 87 psi can immobilize a

2" balanced piston cylinder in mid position. I ran a few calculations and understand what is going on but my question is what to they call the valve that is locking the cylinder in position?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

A "guess" from your description, A "counter balance valve".

See if an image matches. These are used in pneumatic as well as hydraulic systems.

RLM