Surface gage

Surface gages usu. have 2 pins sitting in through holes on the rear, or back side opposite the indicator end. The pins are not sitting fully down in the holes such that they do not contact the surface plate. Please tell me what is the purpose of those pins. I can only guess they are for squaring when pushed down over the edge of the surface plate.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Hey Bob,

That's what I do with mine. For instance, if you know that the table or the table slots on your mill are "square", then it is a fast way to set something up. Beats running the table back and forth. Just drop the pins, hit an edge, set the DTI to 0 and slide it across, make the adjustment, and try again. Probably best to do a proper trial before cutting.

There are lots of other uses too, such as scribing a circle/arc, finding centers, etc.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

That's it, or rather, scribing a line or measuring a distance from an edge on a piece of work. Old technology, but it still does the job and the batteries won't go flat :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Also useful when setting up a fixed steady on the lathe.Use the pins against the edge of the shears to check the job is set parallel to the lathe bed. Mark

mark