Table travel specs

Hello all,

Dumb question: is there anything special about the way table travel numbers are measured?

I ask because in dimensioning a drawing, I noticed that some of the numbers were getting a little large for my mill. Looking in the manual, I was perhaps going to have to change something; it listed 16-1/8 inches. That sounded short to me, and I in fact measure it somewhere over 19 inches. By that I mean crank it pretty much all the way to one side, then all the way to the other and note the distance between the spots under the spindle. An HF manual for "the same machine" shows a travel just over 19 inches, which matches my experience.

Is the 16+ inch number more honest, or is it just wrong?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

It might relate to the travel that you get with a power feed attached to the table... these have a tendency to gobble up a couple of inches of movement.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Or written by someone unfamiliar with this form of numbers who doesn't recognize that 6 and 9 are different numbers denoting different quantities. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Mark,

Good point - the 19+ is with the feed. The absense of "whatever you do, don't push it that far" replies is encouraging. Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab