tables with circular pattern

I've seen steel tables with a circular pattern applied to them... This looks as though some type of circular tool has repeatedly produced a circular 'swirl' effect on the steel. Each circle appears to be layered/applied on top of the previous one as if this is a single tool producing each circle in sequence. (each circle is about 50mm diameter on a 1m x 1m table and applied in straight rows/columns).

I'm hoping someone understands what I am trying to explain and has seen this type of effect before... and can cofirm how it is produced.

Thanks.

Reply to
will_usher

Engine turning. Easy to do with homemade tooling and carborundum powder. I've seen it done with a #2 lead pencil, applying the abrasive to the eraser and chucking the pencil into a drill press. You set the stops to a little less than the diameter of the eraser.

- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX

will snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

yeh thats the one! I just put engine turning into google images and thats what it is. Cheers.

Reply to
will_usher

Jewelling.

Tom Gardner

yeh I'm trying to find some online videos of it.

Reply to
will_usher

You got leads on engine turning.

Another term used for the same effect on gun parts is "jewelling"

You can scale the tool to the work at hand. I have done small items with cratex abrasives or blue pen erasers, larger sheet metal parts with sandpaper onna stick or 3M roloc style abrasive pad discs in a drill press.

Key to getting it to look good is the even spacing. Even pressure from spot to spot helps too.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Failed. If you had used alt.test, you'd get autoresponses from around the world as your message goes out.

Reply to
Dave Hinz