Moving lines & tables together in WF2 M080

I can't figure this out. I need to move a section of my drawing tree...

Maybe I've missed a click along the lines somewhere... I've tried the following with no luck.

Selecting each line and table separately: Only moves the item you're over when you start your move

Select window: Tables don't keep their relationship with the lines

Move icon: Doesn't select the tables

Translate: Highlights table text and lines but only moves lines This option has no undo

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Did this just arrive late? You already posted a summary of the answers you got on the Exploder yesterday. Since it might be of interest, I'll post it here.

Hi all,

Here's a run-down on my findings.

I was told by several members that any of the "copy methods" would work when coupled with any of the "paste methods"

Some copy methods that were mentioned/tried by me...

Ctrl-C Edit > copy RMB copy RMB copy tree Table pull down menu > copy table

Some paste methods...

Ctrl-V RMB paste Edit > paste

This is the only combination that worked for me. Ctrl-C then RMB paste

Details: highlight the whole table by first finding the "sweet spot" near a corner of a table that turns the whole table blue Then LMB without moving the mouse while table is still blue This will turn the table red then hit Ctrl-C (you'll see your cursor change as the table is written to the clipboard) Now click on a blank space on your drawing to change the selected table back to it's original color Now RMB paste and a separate window will come up Now do your typical "pick a from point in the window" then pick "your destination point on your drawing" Done.

Hope this helps

Mike

Reply to
David Janes

David,

That was for COPYING A TABLE ONLY.

This post is about MOVING TABLES & LINES TOGETHER. I haven't figured this one out yet and working around it takes 10-20x as much time as one move would take, if I could figure it out.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Hi, Mike.

I'm a little slow and am probably missing a lot, but ...

What are "lines"?

From your original post, "I need to move a section of my drawing tree..."; is this related to moving a table?

I might suggest posting your question along with a simplified example of the objects you are working with to mcadcentral. Having the actual objects you are trying to manipulate at hand helps bridge gaps in written communication.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Draft entities

Yes in the drawing tree there are small "tables" of information about each drawing and then lines "draft entities" that connect them.

What I'd like to do is move a whole section of my drawing tree "tables and draft entities" THanks Jeff

Reply to
Mike

I think I see. "Drawing tree"; it's a block diagram or flow chart sorta thing and you are not talking about "Model Tree".

This isn't subject matter I'm familar with but I don't have a problem selecting a table and draft entities simultaneously and doing either Copy / Paste or Cut / Paste. The entities are treated as a group; e.g. not jumbled up or shifted around.

Multiple selection and trying to use drag Move (four way screen icon that comes up) does shift spatial relationships.

If you can't get anything else working you might consider making a draft group to minimize the number of entities that you have to do discrete moves on (?).

Reply to
Jeff Howard

RIGHT

Ok but I want to move them.

I can translate the entities together. I can't move tables together.

Reply to
Mike

The translate or 'move' command is looking for entities, which is why it will not pick the table. What if you select all the things you want to move, holding the control key down. Pick the tables and lines, once all is selected you can do a 'edit >

cut' then 'edit > paste', this will bring you the preview box you can pick the new location and plop it where you want. It should move everything together. goodluck. Gary

Reply to
Gary Miglionico

Cut & Paste is about as close as I can come to that. Hmm... it is sort of a "move". 8~)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Did you try creating a draft group and then moving everything

I haven't tried it, but it might work

Glenn |B

Reply to
GWDavis28

Reply to
Mike

You know, I thought it would be a good thing to use the new parametric sketching. Pick some stuff on the table for references and lock the draft entities to it. Then it all ought to move together. Trouble with that (and with creating a draft group) ~ the table isn't selectable, it isn't draft entities itself or any other known type that you can stick geometry to.

However, the main way, within Pro/e, for avoiding all the messing around, trying merge draft geometry with a table entity and getting them to play nice, is to create table geometry with columns and rows adjusted to give the effect, say, of a double horizontal or vertical line. Other effects can be achieved with erasing lines in the table and then merging cells. I've seen a lot of title blocks done this way, all table cells, some bigger, some smaller, most NOT lined up above or across from each other in neat rows/columns.

Reply to
David Janes

You're right Jeff, that works, thanks. I guess it didn't sink it the first time you said it :)

Mike

Jeff Howard wrote:

Reply to
Mike