Talking of wingnuts

I bought some recently, and wanted to make a wing bolt. I decided to MIG the nuts onto some threaded rod. They simply burnt up and melted! What the heck are they making them of?

Reply to
OldNick

Likely a zinc alloy.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Potmetal wingnuts. Good grief! Better bring a magnet next time you buy bolts at that store, should you choose to ever return.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Ah, but then how will you know they're potmetal and not stainless or titanium, eh?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Oh, golly, you're right: the magnet won't suffice. Stainless is easily discernable from potmetal by color, magnet tells the tale of whether the non-stainless part is potmetal or zinc-plated steel, but titanium wingnuts would cause some confusion. Don'cha hate it when careless shoppers get the titanium wingnuts mixed up in the bin with the potmetal wingnuts?

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'm glad you're the one who said it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If you want to use the pot metal nuts, just soft solder them with a propane torch. The joint will be stronger than the pot metal. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Just think of them as sacrificial parts to prevent overtorqing and stripping of the threaded pieces they are screwed onto.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yes, that's often an issue with me when I visit the local feed store for wingnuts. Older potmetal is very hard to tell from titanium. I always bring a pair of vice grips to the store and twist on the wings: if you can bend the little wings into a pretzel shape and have them spring back you know it's titanium. If they break then just kinda kick them under the shelf.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Just ask the guy for some of the copper sulfate they use for control of aphids, cabbage worms, adult fungus gnats, mealybugs, mites and thrips. A drop of copper sulfate solution will make a black spot on potmetal, has no effect on aluminum or titanium.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:26:29 -0600, Don Foreman vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I agree. Treat with caution! It was only Bunnings "where lower pricees are only the beginning" (followed by breaking and returning ghe goods....)

Reply to
OldNick

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:07:57 -0500, Jeff Wisnia vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I reckon these would prevent damage to your _fingers_ !

Reply to
OldNick

Now another chemical to carry around in a ring on a finger. Hum - might have to develop a test kit (like pools/spa's testing for chemicals) to test metals at the scrap yard and the metal stores :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

(...)

Hey, publish what you have so far, why doncha?

A 2% solution of silver nitrate is supposedly used to detect manganize bronze (Drop turns the metal grey); to sort aluminum from magnesium (Drop turns magnesium black, does not affect aluminum).

--Winston

Reply to
Winston