tap drill chart

I am looking for a comprehensive tap and drill chart that covers both US and
metric. I ran into a situation at work where a part was purchased that had
a metric thread pitch that none of the crappy charts showed. Looking
further into this, I realized there are a lot more thread pitches for metric
sizes than I previously knew about.
If you have any internet resources or books that have this, please let me
know.
Thanks for any pointers.
Stephen R.
Reply to
Stephen R
Machinery's handbook
Reply to
Bob Swinney
Pick up a copy of _Machinery's Handbook_. It will have all kinds of threads, including some of the hybrid ones like "BA" (a UK standard which uses metric pitches and inch diameters, IIRC. :-)
Good Luck, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
Here's comprehensive for you.
Tap drill = diameter minus pitch
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
If you need to know the size to drill for a metric cutting tap, simply subtract the pitch from the diameter. ie M10x1.25 would be 10 - 1.25 = 8.75.
michael
Reply to
michael
Actually, I was surprised to discover that my Machinery's Handbook (26th Ed) is missing quite a few metric thread diameter pitch combinations in its tables. Moltrecht's "Machine Shop Practice" lists a number of metric threads that are not in Machinery's Handbook, but the tech data is not given (e.g., pitch diameter, min/max minor diameter, min/max major diameter, etc.). Fortunately, all the equations and reference tables are available in Machinery's Handbook to calculate any desired metric thread. But it would have been nice if the look-up tables were more complete.
- Michael
Reply to
DeepDiver
Thanks for all the info.. Very helpful.
Stephen R.
Reply to
Stephen R
Look at this free program:
Michael Rainey
Thanks Mike,
That is a pretty good piece of freeware.
Stephen R.
Reply to
Stephen R