Tap faux pas

To all, Yesterday I was fabricating a device, using prints sent to us from Japan. Aside from everything being in metric, including the material thicknesses and grades of materials, half of the dimensions were lost in translation. All of the notes were in Japanese and half of the dimensions came out as a series of question marks. I was having trouble tapping many of the holes because the pitch of the threads was a series of question marks. As an example; M5-???12 kept coming up. I accidentally used M5x0.9 and realized my mistake only when I tried to assemble the mess. I know that 0.8mm is the common pitch here but someone mixed in Hanson 0.9mm pitch taps in the tap drawer. Have you ever tried to read a Hanson tap? Rubbing your fingers across the lettering removes the paint they use to mark the damn beasties. My question is, Just where do they use those oddball M5, and other, taps. M5 taps are commonly made in 1.0, 0.9, 0.8, 0.75, and a few other wierd flavors. I have always specified the pitch when ordering taps. Unfortunately the people that process our orders here have 'MBA disease' and items come from the cheapest place with the best booze and hookers. I have consulted every source listing at my disposal to divine the mess of metric pitches and sizes. Mark's Handbook, Machinery's Handbook, etc........ None of them even mention most of those oddball ones, even in the drill or tap listings. Any input or ideas would be appreciated. I will even extract cash from the department head to buy a new book. I just love spilling blood.. I mean getting money to buy a necessary book or publication.

Charlie Biler

Reply to
Charlie Biler