Threads question

According to Don Foreman :

[ ... ]

The Nikon F also used the same threads -- but via an adaptor. The shutter release was inside a cylindrical protector which rotated about 90 degrees to lock or unlock the button, and there was a male thread on a collar around the button but inside the protector. You thread the adaptor onto that, and it positions a cable release above the shutter release button. But the button requires more force than the internal cable release socket normally needed, so long (e.g. 10 foot or greater) cable releases were a problem with all of that cable friction.

Note that the same adaptor also worked on some versions of the Miranda SLRs -- before they started adding a cable shutter release socket in the body under a threaded cover. You had to unscrew the protective ring from around the shutter release button to expose the threads for the adaptor.

The adaptor looks somewhat like a half-size thimble, if you are looking for one.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I just went and looked at two Nikon view camera lenses and they both have tapered threads in the shutter release. In addition,in my drawer of "camera bits" I found two shutter release cables with tapered threads. Certainly at one time they were as common as dirt as I certainly don't remember having any problem in locating them.

If that is what you are looking at try locating a camera shop that deals in professional cameras and give them a call.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Reply to
brucedpaige

In my experience, the bulb does not produce enough pressure to trip the release through 30+ feet of cable without squeezing it in a vise. I cut the hose down to a manageable 6 feet and it works fine. I suppose you could also hook it up to a shop or canned compressed air source.

Reply to
woodworker88