Tinkerer Wanted

I need a versatile person to make some parts and assemblies of a curve tracer, bubble machine, kite camera kites, plywood photography mast, and more. These may have commercial uses, maybe not. Ideally you would be located within driving distance of Bloomfield, CT. Would be good to have access to large open space to test kites. I have some projects that require electronics design knowledge, such as battery-operated device to use accelerometer to trigger short recorded messages, all solid-state. Must be able to work from rough sketches and fill in details, order parts from McMaster, etc. Don't answer if you are looking for big bucks! I'm just a retired guy with a few projects on my plate. I will provide sketches and ask you to quote on completed job. They don't have to be done fast. Would start with pretty small jobs, and if all goes well, get into bigger ones. If you are wondering what kind of crazy fella I am, go to:

I'm "flypaper". Also, to see photos of bubble machine I designed, go to:
Also here is photo of first model of mapping gadget that I built:
What I need is new versions of these built from my sketches and your skill, cleverness, and knowledge of manufacturing methods. Please email me at joel_a snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net , with info about practical machining, model making, hands-on stuff you know how to do.

Reply to
Joel Clark

Huge bubbles. As I saw them sinking to the floor, I thought "Hey, they should be filled with *helium*." Rev 2.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Those are some bodacious bubbles!

Back in the late 50's, a prof in frosh chem at Michigan Tech made similarly-sized soap bubbles in the frosh chem lecture hall. He did it first with straight hydrogen and then with H2/O2 mix, lit them with a splint. The H2 bubbles went pow, the H2/O2 bubbles sounded about like a 12-gage shotgun.

Then he did the grande finale, after which lecture was dismissed because nobody would hear well for a little while.

I rather doubt that chemlectures are as entertaining nowadays.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The one I remember was the physics prof. He gave a lecture on mass velocity and force. Every time he mentioned mass, he would pick up a black brick on his desk and drop it - CLUNK. He did this several times. When he talked about mass times velocity, he took that item and threw it straight at us. TALK ABOUT GET YOUR ATTENTION. He had switched the brick for a black chalk eraser.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Reply to
RoyJ

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:51:05 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend" scrawled the following:

Aww, all we got in high school chem were banana and vomit scented esters.

-- Seen on a bumper sticker: STOP THE INVASION REOCCUPY MEXICO

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My favorite physics class stunt from college was purely an accident. I've never seen a prof turn that red before or since. The prof was telling us how it was in the old days, and demonstrated by pretending to fling an eraser toward the back of the class. The only problem was the eraser slipped from his grasp, flew back three rows, and hit a student right in the mouth. The chalk dust left a big white rectangle (he happened to be black). The prof apologised profusely, of course, and excused the student to clean up. He also told him to see him after class. I'm guessing he got an A, and I'll bet that story was never repeated.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

--For a good time google "Eiffl Plasterer" Will check you out on Half Bakery; I'm 'Steamboat'.

Reply to
steamer

Thanks, Ed, I see you are pretty active on halfbakery! I know you've posted on this newsgroup for years. But I haven't followed it much, so tell me, how do you come by the name "Steamboat"? Joel

Reply to
Joel Clark

--Cheaper to give my ideas away than to develop 'em, heh.

--My motto: 'when fortune proves elusive, concentrate on fame'. And I've got a steamboat...

Reply to
steamer