Tips for cutting a thin Delrin ring?

I need to cut a small ring of Delrin, approximately 1/16" square in cross-section, and about 7/8" OD. Other than using very sharp tools, I'm looking for suggestions on how to do this with a minimum amount of burrs to clean up.

One idea I had was to cut the oD on a solid rod, and then bore out the inside only slightly deeper than the length of the ring. That way there won't be as much roonm for the plastic to flow when I try to cut it off.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

You will have absolutely no trouble doing this at all. Delrin machines quite well. Turn the OD to size, bore the ID to your desired dimension.

Face of the end, and then use a thin parting tool to cut your square section ring. Grind the tool so that it has a fairly sharp angle at the end, so it it comes to a point on the right side of the tool. That way the ring will have the minium burr when it parts off. Feed slowly and get the spindle moving fast when you break through.

Jim

jim rozen

I am a little confused at your description but it sounds like 7/8 O.D., 5/8 I.D., 1/16 thick. I think I would try scribing the dimensions with a compass, then use a gasket punch to cut it.

Harbor Freight sells gasket punch sets cheap.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

What Jim said, but the angle on the parting tool isn't necessary. Just make sure the tool is killer sharp. The only thing you'll have to deburr is the sharp corner. Delrin machines beautifully and cleanly, doesn't make burrs.

Good luck. That's a simple task.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Delrin does not lend itself well to punching in that thickness. Machining is so easy it would be criminal to try it any other way. Really!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

For cutting off Delrin and other similar plastics, I often times use an Exacto knife blade on a homemade tool holder.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Indeed. Punching it will either collapse it or bust it.

Gunner who ground a special set of Scary Razor sharp HSS tools JUST for Delrin and other similar plastics. With a ground in Chip Director/Deflector