Tire stores over torquing lugs answer

SurvivalBlog.com <http://www.survivalblog.com/index.html
The Daily Web Log for Prepared Individuals Living in Uncertain Times.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Letter Re: Basic Mechanics Skill and Knowing Vehicular Limitations
<http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/09/letter-re-basic-mechanics-skill-and-knowing-vehicular-limita
tions.html>
tions.html> | Print <http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/09/letter_re_basic_mechanics_skill_and_knowing_vehicular_limita
tions.html>
Jim, If I might add my two cents to Albert's comments on Basic Mechanics Skill and Knowing Vehicular Limitations <http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/09/letter-re-basic-mechanics-skills-and-knowing-vehicular-limit
ations.html>: I was also inconvenienced with lug nuts being over-torqued. I bent the factory lug wrench in the process. My dear spouse would have never been able to loosen one, much less five lug nuts. So I vowed to never again be put in that position again. I made the assumption that the tire store torqued the lug nuts to factory specifications. They went far beyond that number. Apparently, many do.
My solution was far less high tech, EMP proof, and far less expensive: a24-Inch breaker bar <(Amazon.com product link shortened)89&creative“25&crea
tiveASIN°0062LNXK&linkCode=as2&tag=survivalcom-20>with a 1/2" drive for each vehicle. Add the correct socket, and a six inch extension and you will /never /struggle with that aspect of a tire change again. Get one for each vehicle and make it a permanent part of that vehicle's tool kit. - John T.
Chris notes: Harbor Freight often has breaker bars, for ten bucks on sale. Add a black impact socket set, and you're good to go. I've used mine more than once. For myself, and for others.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Stormin Mormon wrote:

So far, my HF electric impact wrench has held up. It saved my bacon after I bought a new set of tires that were put on by King Kong. First thing I do when I get home is back the nuts off to a reasonable torque value.
Like everything else, test your stuff in the driveway on a nice, sunny day. I run alloy wheels from American Racing and the nuts are set in a well. An impact socket will not fit into the well, just a normal deep wall.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/2/2013 10:51 PM, rbowman wrote:

I do like my HF wrench. Some years ago, I had a truck with steel wheels. The idiot at a small town repair garage did it. The HF wouldn't budge, but the breaker bar did. Helps to be heavy. I should have phoned, and give him a piece of my mind. Or took the truck back and let HIM loosen.
βœ–

Ive got (2) 110vt impact guns. They are IDENTICAL.
One is marked Harbor Freight...the other is marked Black and Decker Professional. One is orange bodied..the other is brown bodied. No other differences. I was pondering this and one lazy afternoon..pulled em part to lube and check out. Absolutely NO difference and even screws interchanged
Both work amazingly well. I recently pulled the tires on my motor home. C class Dodge Tradesman with 16.5 tires. Big lug nuts rusted on.
Neither gun had an issue pulling them off. I did some with Kroil..some I left along as a test. No issues with either other than the rusty ones took about a second longer to unscrew.
Gunner
"
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/3/2013 3:43 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

With so much stuff made in China, that's totally believable. I'm sure there are other rebranded but identical items.
I've had other moments where impact gun would have been totally ideal. One time I stopped by a friend's house. He was doing something (can't remember what) to the front end of his GF's mini van. One nut was siezed on. I didn't have my impact with me, and I was three hours drive from home. I suggested heat, but he said it was too close to this or that. I'm sure I could have heated it safely. But, no. Two big wrenches, and broke the bolt. That wasn't one of his better moments. Impact wrench and some WD-40 http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-amazing-uses-for-wd-40/?v=print might have helped.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Wnen you need one, you need one. They used to be pricey so I did a lot of cursing, LiquidWrench, torches, breaker bars, 3/4 pipe, and so forth. China has put them in a price range that I can afford. Or I should say in a price range where I'll buy one for the odd job that comes up a couple of times a year.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/3/2013 10:49 AM, rbowman wrote:

Amazing, how many things have come way down in price. Digital wrist watches, etc. I remember in about 1978 I bought a digital watch, for about $25. Had to push the button to make the red LED light up. I'm not sure what that is, in 2013 dollars.
Now, LCD watches at Dollar Tree, functioning and with battery and all.
βœ–

What...swinging a hammer on the impact driver doesnt ring your bell anymore, old timer?
(Grin)
I still use one occasionally on the job and keep one in the truck and have a half dozen or so out in the shop.
For those of you who dont know what they are..or havent seen one...
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impact-driver/p-00947641000P
(many other makes as well)
Anyone who ever owned a Honda or other bikes using Phillips head screws...knows all about these.....
Sometimes..nothing else will work.
And you can use a big rock, if you dont have a hammer on the side of the road
Gunner
"
Add pictures here
βœ–

The impact driver was my plausible excuse for carrying a hatchet.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 12:31:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Thumbs up!!
"
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hurts like a bugger when the rock splits in your hand though!!!!!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 20:06:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That it certtainly does!
Btdt.
Gunner
"
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gunner Asch wrote:

Despite liberal applications of Never-Seez, the #25 Torx screws on the primary chain inspection port were stubborn this summer. I dragged out the driver and beat on it for a while. I then decided the primary didn't really need adjusting, I could pour the new tranny oil in through the clutch derby, and I'd deal with them sometime in the future.
It's a no-name knockoff I picked up somewhere along the way and while the cap shows some serious hammer blows, to the best of my recollection it's never loosened one damn nut in the last 20 years.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sure you are using it right? I use mine a LOT.
Gunner
"
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gunner Asch wrote:

No, I never was too sure. The markings on the knurled knob are pretty ambiguous. I test it and when I hit it the socket does seem to turn in the right direction, but I've never been convinced.
I really should buy a name brand one. I use it very infrequently so it's not in the front of my mind when I'm in a tool store.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I use an electric one as Ive stated prior..but the hammer powered ones really work well when away from the grid
Gunner
"
Add pictures here
βœ–

Mine came without instructions and someone had to tell me to twist it hard in the loosen direction to switch the internal cam before hammering. jsw
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 18:06:59 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

All these kids and tools...sigh...its like nobody had fathers to teach em how to use tools.
(Grin)
I dont think I got instructions in any of mine either, except the Craftsman one. But Ive used em for 45 yrs..and forget its a new toy to a lot of people.
"
Add pictures here
βœ–

My father was a poor Appalachian farm boy who knew a lot about vegetables, mules and hand tools, but not much of engines or electricity. I had to learn those on my own. My parents never understood why I'd rather take new toys apart than play with them. jsw
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 08:47:46 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

My dad was a mechanical engineer who became a watch repairman and gemologist.
Mom was an aeronautical engineer who became head county building inspector via parts manager for the Chevy house.
We had interesting discussions at dinner.
"
Add pictures here
βœ–