cap size

One of my cooler compressors is down...

I want to replace caps before calling the HVAC guy.

I found the run cap is 35 MFD

The start cap print was dim and dirty so I tried to rub the label. It came apart :(

The cap is 2 1/2" diameter, 4 1/4" high on a 2hp refrigeration compressor.

Very partial label: ???? TRAL AB ???? 4576BC8

What size cap should I try?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Mostly depends on the horsepower, or btuh, in your case.

Find the compressor model number, Tecumseh and Copeland both publish their cap sizes IIRC

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Some info, mostly for Emerson by model number here:

Leon Fisk

Sorry, friend, don't know. 220 MFD is a wild guess.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ummm... ONE of your coolers? Why not look in another one? Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Either they're another brand, or are in similar condition, or he forgot to think of that. Good catch.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

well, I ordered a 300 from Mcmaster. we'll see what happens.

BTW, this is the only compressor like this on my place, couldn't look at another one.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That's a good place to start. I suspect it will work fine. Please let us all know how that works out.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And here I thought you were going to spin a boating yarn...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Compressor is running. I like cheap fixes.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You weren't kidding when you let us know. Good one!

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That line may have been 'Centralab' "BCcomponents (Beyschlag Centralab components), a division of Vishay"

I no longer have the old catalogs to see what it could have been. At least you got it working.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's a little late now, if it was too much or too little something expensive will have broken by now - But...

Reading the old capacitor nameplate is irrelevant.

The compressor nameplate is usually stamped steel or something else equally indestructible, and most likely still legible - you can look up a data sheet on the compressor and it'll show the capacitor needed.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)