TOLERANCE!

I just bougt some 3mm * 3mm * 25mm angle (1/8 *1/8 * 1").

It is 2.5mm * 2.5mm * 25mmm. I rang and checked, and the stockist said that was within tolerance, and that they had had a previous enquiry and had checked with their supplier.

Boy! 16% and it's _within_ tolerance.

Bet it never goes _over_

Wouldn't want to use it in tension situations! I would even have to be careful in any other situation.

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

It probably was 3mm at one time. Then they improved the steel, and could get the same strength with

2.5mm
Reply to
Ian Stirling

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:47:56 GMT, Ian Stirling vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I really, really wish I believed that!

For one thing, this is angle. When was the last time they improved _that_

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

Reply to
Roy J

Hmmm, sounds like wood measurements. The guy who first started shaving the 2x4 should have been taken out and shot!

Oh, but if you're measuring in mm, maybe you don't have the wood measurement mess we have in the US.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

They have 50x100mm beams just as we have 2x4s. ;)

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:104c9cmr5qf17c9 @corp.supernews.com:

yeah, but they are (usually) 50x100 not 38x89

Reply to
Jeff

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:47:10 -0600, Roy J vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Tha must have been a piss-off. As you say, humans adapt, but auto-jigged work makes certain assumptions.

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:34:58 -0600, "Tim Williams" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yeah. They are 40X90mm

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:40:29 -0600, Jon Elson vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

There seems more of an excuse with wood, although why a 2x4 should be NOT 2x4 I cannot understand...HELLO!...Start with bigger wood! I suppose it could be tied in with the building trades and other lumber users.

What really P's me O with wood is _these_ days, even the uindersized stuff has saw marks on it half the time. They appear to be _sawing_ to the dressed size! Such minimalisation heads toward ripoff.

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

You should look up its intended uses. The steel mill should have information about this - especially if it's actually supposed to be used for structural applications. Not only that, but you can probably find info on safety factors and dealing with off-sized stock.

You _can_ buy stock that's very close to size (drill rod and stock for swiss-type lathes, for instance) but you're going to pay for it.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

That was our first major robot welded project. We got a LOT smarter later on! But having a frame set down hard on the floor and hearing parts fall off is real disconcerting. The long pieces we generally caught the first time, we would get torch faults when the torch head bumped the work. The short ones would have a nice bead on the base metal, nothing on the angle.

It was sort of funny. We got the robot > On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:47:10 -0600, Roy J

Reply to
Roy J

But surely you would expect to pay for the kerf rather than expecting the lumber mill to foot the bill!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Seems to me that I can remember a time not too many eons ago that we could go to the lumberyard and buy 2 X 4's either in the rough, at 2" X 4", or planed lumber at 1 7/8" X 3 7/8". Of course they only stocked the rough, and if you wanted the planed, you waited while they ran it through the planer.

(Damn! Am I really that old?)

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Naturally, the lumber mill would never foot the bill (unless they're running a deficit). You pay one way or the other.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Probably. I was often found tagging along with grampa when I was a kid. We never had to wait for the planer, but we did go run other errands and return for our lumber a bit later. And the shit was straight, without cracks! Minimal knots too.

I'm not near as old as you, Lennie. But that was a couple years ago.

michael

Reply to
michael

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:47:02 +0000, Mark Rand vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I already pay for the original wood, the kerf, _and_ the shavings

I guess I could say I get value for money. I can _see_ the blade marks of the sawing I padi for!

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

You must be. I can remember when they were 1-5/8 (1950s?), and I've seen a lot of old 1-3/4, but 1-7/8? When was that?

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957