tool/yard sale gloat

I picked up a really neat piece today, a Lufkin METAL folding 48" measurer. I've seen lots of wood, but never a metal one. ebay didn't have any. It was a buck. It will look good on my growing wall of old tools.

I went to another, and they had a piece of black pottery. The gal said it was her grandfather's. It looked like a Maria Ildelfonso piece, and I was interested. She said take it, as I guess it has some bad juju associated with it. I also got a really neat leather skin kachina (indian dancer) wall plaque, also free. Then I saw a mirror with a metal frame around it with squares of cowboy themed things in each 6 x 6 square. I'm going to cut out some new things, and put it together for my grandsons for their new cowboy room.

Total cost, $5. I have contacted medicine man galleries and sent pictures of the pot, and will advise when I find its value. Some of these go for up to $10,000, but I'd be happy just to find that it is authentic Maria Ildelfonso. It will look good in my expanding collection.

Got a pancake compressor on cart, a car buffer to make a billiard ball polisher, some lab glass for yeast cultures for my beer brewing, and several dollar and two items. Oh, don't forget a really nice staple puller that has to go for $4 retail for a quarter.

I got some J trim to complete my carport sides for $11 per 12' piece, and locally, they wanted $17 per copy "on a deal if I bought ten". Yeah, right.

Las Vegas was full of yard sales, and condo associations and HOA's had them where there was a yard sale or three on nearly every street. Quality of goods was medium to medium high.

One small welding/cutting rig, but off brand, and all I need is a small head, Victor 100, IIRC.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sounds really fun! I would not know Maria Ildelfonso even if she bit my ass. But it sounds like something valuable.

Ignoramus15384

What do you need/want? Am cleaning out, too, and have lots of "stuff".

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Heard back already from a shop in Albuquerque. Looks like it is a Maria Tafoya, value up to $8k. Needs a little restoration, probably $200. Am documenting it with other galleries. You gotta keep your eye out at those yard sales for the diamonds in the dirt.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Awesome. Got a picture of that thing?

Reply to
Ignoramus15384

I would like a small cutting torch, (Victor) and if there are any gas welding tips, that would be a plus. I have some holsters, leather, assorted stuff, but no reloading equipment. I have some other shop stuff that I'm separating and parting with things I have three of.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve B

Looks nice.

Ignoramus15384

Wasn't looking for art, but 20+ years ago, saw three really nice Japanese watercolors at a yard sale, in a far corner of stuff. Marked $1 each, I bought all three. I'm no art expert, but I knew these were not modern production prints. Seller was obviously WWII generation. After he gently places them in a paper sack for me I thank him and turn for my car. As I start to walk away, he says "Those are worth a lot of money". I turned back, and he had the saddest look on his face, while his wife was grinning ear to ear. To this day, I regret not going back and finding out the story behind this.

They turned out to be pre-WWII Hiroshigi and are worth at least $100 each. Not a major score, but darn decent.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Hey Steve , I've got a spare Victor 315FC handle and a CA2460 cutting head I took in on a trade, ya interested or is this one too big? Whole unit is like

20" long assembled . My tanks aren'tbig enough to use this one , and I very seldom need to cut anything thick enough to justify renting bigger tanks .
Reply to
Snag

Tell ya what , I've got a smaller Smith's , and I sure would like a set of brazing/welding tips for it . The cut head is an AC305 , handle is an AW1 . Got anything that will fit it ? Or if you've got something in that size range , I'm getting tired of having to swap torches to the Uniweld (junk...) when I need to braze/weld .

Reply to
Snag

IIRC, what I have now is a 315. Don't know without going out to the containers. It sounds like what you have. I need (want) a smaller one to do some fine work. Mine uses the 300 O2 tank, and a fairly hefty acet.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

"Gunner Asch" wrote

I'm only interested in Victor, will get the exact model. I, like you, don't like a bunch of mismatched stuff, nor having trouble finding parts, service, or accessories.

Will e mail you, you have mine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B