Tools you didn't know you needed

I recently came across this from Ridged:

"The new RIDGID SeeSnake micro? inspection camera allows you to easily perform visual inspections in hard to reach areas. Its lightweight, handheld design means that it can be carried anywhere ? providing solutions when and where you need them, while allowing you to offer more services and increase productivity."

It isn't really cheap, but it sure would have been handy for fishing around inside walls and...

You would think they would have given it a bit more resolution and the ability to take pictures. But then they wouldn't be able to come out with an improved model I guess a few months later.

I found it for sale on Fastenal's website, ~$280.

The Stanley Laser measures, TLM series (100, 200, 300) would be really cool to have if I was still running conduit. It seems like my one inch wide tape measure was never quite long enough to reach what I wanted. See:

It is suppose to have plus/minus 1/4 inch accuracy at 100 feet which isn't too shabby. Plenty good for running conduit.

Too pricey to have around nowadays for occasional use. Around ~$100 for the TLM100 version.

So what else is out there that we really don't need, but would be cool to have?

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I have the TLM100, and it's worth every penny. I use it for cave surveys. It also happens to be made in Austria (not China) with technology licensed from Leica Geosystems.

Reply to
Pete C.

How about the Rigid calender? A must have for any shop.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

There are better, less politically correct ones...

Reply to
Pete C.

I've used digicams a lot to see into places in machines rather than do the mirror and flash light routine.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

$60 at Amazon & FREE shipping

I wonder if the 1/4" accuracy at 100' scales (e.g., .025" at 10'), or if it's always 1/4" (full-scale thing). If it's fixed, it would be too limiting, but scaled would be plenty good enough.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I tested my TLM100 along side my 30' power lock in the hallway, and it was always exact to the 1/8" with the tape.

Reply to
Pete C.

A guy at work sent me a link to a neat magnetic tool for fishing wires in walls and even under carpet, don't remember the brand name. I'll try to remember to forward the link from my work PC and post it here.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Why don't they just post the damn prices? No, you gotta give them all kinds of info.

Sheesh.

Reply to
SteveB

You found it anyway, yeah I was kinda disappointed with lack of pricing. I generally take that as a sign something is overpriced...

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I take it as being there is at least one overpriced distribution channel to get it. Such as retail superstores. If home depot sells it they dont want people knowing fastenal sells it for 25% less to their SMALL customers and 35% less to their large ones.

Brent Ottawa canada

Reply to
Brent

That sounds like my greenlee FISH STIX.

they are in the cable fishing family of tools but unlike a fish tape you can PUSH it over and through open areas.

Basically its 4' lengths of fishing rod with threaded ends and a hook or basket at the end that will easily let you push a cable out up to

24'

they save HOURS working up in drop ceilings

Reply to
Brent

Gunner

Not sure of the current ones. Seem to recall one I saw a while back was from a hydraulics company.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 04:35:09 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Both of which are better, IMHO. Gimme T&A!

Too much beef.

Mmmmm, that gal on the front of the 2008 calendar is SMOKIN'!

-- My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life. -- Miles Davis

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:15:53 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm, Brent quickly quoth:

Are you saying that Fastenal is cheaper than Homey's Despot?!?

-- My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life. -- Miles Davis

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They must think we're stupid. I know their reasoning about sales territories. And they can still give their lists of places to buy. But if the item is $1,000 MSRP, I KNOW that it will be cheaper at a local store. The $1,000 figure just gives me a chance to see if I want to research it further.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes, it is indeed real laser ranging, no ultrasonic or other low grade junk. The TLM100 is by far the least expensive laser ranger I know of. It's affordable for general use vs. it's bigger siblings with longer ranges. It's also physically smaller than it's siblings which is an advantage for cave survey use.

Reply to
Pete C.

I cant speak for Fastenal..but Im finding that Ferguson (plumbing supplier) virtually any fastner store and most electrical supply houses are cheaper than Home Depot. Both in small and large quantities.

Significantly cheaper.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I always want to try using an RC 4x4 pulling a fish line on a drop ceiling. Now that the prices are affordable for such toys I don't do stuff like that anymore.

I used to just grab a 9 foot low band antenna whip off the van and tie onto the end. Reach as far as a could with that and note which ceiling tile to pop up next. I didn't run stuff everyday or I would have made a better pole type system like you described.

Still think that would be a good RC application and maybe make the job a bit more fun :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk