Totally OT question about Marine band radios for boats

Ooooh! Id forgotten about the Pizza Boat!!!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Why would anyone hire someone who can't spell?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why not? everbudies got spill chucker.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep! Girls in bikinis with hot pizza, cold beer and a warm smile!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

[ ... ]

That would be a nice improvement. I remember lots of rock-bound

2 meter handhelds back in the 1970s and 1980s (4 channels IIRC). This little Yeasu (half the size) has a nice synthesizer VFO built in, and something like 99 frequency pair memories..

Interesting. Not sure that there is room to build a mobile rig into my Nissan Cube -- and keep the room for people which I need. :-)

Something like that might work well as a starting point for the spread spectrum once you cut it free from the rocks.

[ ... communications experiment snipped ... ]

Real motivation to getting the tower back on the air, I guess. :-)

My only experience with 'copters was a flight simulator for the SH-3A (sub hunting 'copter) which my employer built four of. Three in pairs of 18-wheeler trailers (one for the electronics, and one for the cockpit and the sonar room with the instructor's console in between), and one laid out to be installed in a building.

I remember spotting one thing that the engineers missed in the power rack. They mounted a big contactor on its side to take up less space, not realizing that the thing needed gravity to turn off quickly. :-)

That may be why I was eligible for the shift to technician from assembler when that project (and the following A7A simulator) were wrapped up.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

Pizza boat on the lakes, or out in the ocean?

Do they listen to Marine band, CB, or cell phones?

Sounds like a nice combination.

Sure never experienced that on the Chesapeake (sort of half-way between freshwater lakes and salt water. Enough salt brought in by tidal operation to make it about half salty.

We welcomed the heavy rains inland which resulted in the bay getting fresher. The real benefit from that is that it reduced the count of "sea nettles" (rather nasty jellyfish -- not as bad as a Portugese Man-o-War, but still quite uncomfortable to encounter swimming, or even when paddling a kayak and the up-side paddle blade brings up a tentacle or two and drapes it over your arm, which starts burning. :-)

Early in the season, they are sort of ghostly blobs. Late in the season, they develop sort of red and ghostly alterating wedges like the panels in an umbrella. :-) The better to spot the ones near the surface at least. You do *not* want to dive in deep in the late season.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay a nd use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio .

Dan

Mea Culpa. The Baofeng in not legal on the marine band or the frs, murs, or GMRS bands in that it is not FCC part 95 approved. It is not so much th at it will not work at those frequencies , because it will transmit and can receive on those bands. The problem is that the operator can program it to other frequencies. And FCC 95 requires that the radios be designed so t hey can only be used an those frequencies. So if you have bought one of t hese, you can use it to monitor the marine band frequencies. But you can n ot legally transmit on those frequencies.

But do not go buy a marine band radio on Ebay unless you make sure it compl ies with the narrow band requirements that went into effect last January.

Sorry about that

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

A little thing like Part 95 is not going to worry me in the slightest. Least of all in the areas where Im likely to use it. Shrug.

The "Friendly Candy Company" isnt like the ATF...anymore. However..I am..am looking for a good used, individual Marine radio.

None of the old ones have been Grandfathered? Id be tremendiously suprised if that were the case. Any info on that? (later note..check data below)

My Baofeng UV-B6 shows that it will be delivered today as it hit the local post office at 7am, according to the tracking data The programming data is already on my computer and the freqs and whatnot are already programmed in for marine, ham and several local agencies (receive only), when it arrives, Ill plug in the charger and this evening, program it. Ill give a review in the next day or 2.

Almost 3 weeks shipping. The programming cable took 6 days to get here.

Shrug...Ill not be going on the ham bands until I get my ticket, but now Ill be able to test any marine radios I encounter in my scrounging efforts. (low power and a dummy load is in my truck already)

And I thank YOU for the original information leading up to the monumental cost of $40 for the radio and $3.50 for the programming cable and software.

Btw...I just did a quick search o the subject

You may review the very last data line at the bottom. If its hard to read (and Ive not corrected the formating..so it probably is hard to read) ..simply click on the link below.

Narrowbanding Myths and Realities Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to "go digital" (i.e. P25; NXDN; MotoTRBO, TETRA) Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to use 6.25 KHz emissions Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to change to a new frequency or band Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to use trunking technology

The above claims are false in the context of any of them actually being required to comply with the narrowbanding mandate. They may, however, be valid OPTIONS for consideration by individual licensees or certain types of radio system user groups (i.e. Public Safety) when comparing the features, capabilities, benefits and added value those advanced technology options offer with those provided by existing radio systems and/or, in determining whether present systems still effectively meet a licensees current and future communications needs and requirements.

It is imperative that licensees thoroughly discuss, analize, and understand how these OPTIONS may (or may not) be beneficial to their specific radio system operations. Using the services of qualified radio communications professionals when planning and implementing any narrowband migration project is highly recommended.

Myth: Wideband licensees may continue to operate on a "secondary user" basis after 01/01/2013

Not true. ALL Part 90 VHF and UHF two way voice dispatch, data, SCADA, and private radio paging systems must be operating in a 12.5 KHz narrowband (or equivalent) mode on or before the 01/01/2013 date unless -- and only if -- a Narrowbanding Waiver has been issued to the licensee.

Myth: Everybody must narrowband again by 2017

This myth is inaccurate. This date applies only to Part 90 Public Safety 700 MHz systems which must be operating with 6.25 KHz emissions/equivalency by January 1, 2017. Part 90 VHF (150-174 MHz) or UHF (421-470 MHz) licensees are NOT required to migrate to 6.25 KHz emissions/equivalency by this or any other date

Myth: 3rd Party narrowbanding "kits" may be used to modify equipment to comply with the Mandate

No. "To be compliant with the commission's rules, the radio must be specifically certificated for narrowband use under Part 90" (Ira Keltz, deputy chief, FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology -

01/20/2010 and
02/02/2010)

Also see the FCC's responses to FAQ's regarding other Narrowbanding scenarios Also see VHF/UHF FAQ's

Reality: Part 90 narrowbanding is NOT optional

Reality: Do NOT ignore the narrowbanding compliance date of January 1,

2013

Reality: Failure to comply without an FCC Waiver WILL result in license revocation and/or monetary penalties

Reality: Narrowbanding is not complete until all subscriber and infrastructure radios in a system have been either replaced or re-programmed to operate in the narrowband mode. Many existing radio systems are still operating in the wide-band mode - do you know the status of YOUR system?

Reality: Interference WILL occur to wideband systems as new narrowband systems are deployed on narrowband frequencies adjacent to those used by wideband systems

Reality: After 01/01/2013, any Part 90 system still operating in the wideband mode that causes interference to compliant narrowband systems will be subject to several FCC enforcement actions, including the immediate shut down of the offending system

Reality: Low, potentially distorted, or unintelligible audio or, corrupted data, WILL occur between wideband and narrowband devices operating in the same system

Reality: Narrowbanding WILL require well-planned and coordinated implementation strategies to avoid disruption of normal day-to-day radio communications and operations

Reality: After 01/01/2013, all dual-mode capable 25/12.5 KHz radio equipment must be operated only in the 12.5 KHz narrowband mode

*** Note below ***

Reality: The Narrowbanding Mandate does NOT apply to Low Band (30-50 MHz) 220, 700, 800 or 900 MHz Part 90 systems, nor to FRS, GMRS, MURS, Amateur, Marine VHF, or CB radio users

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It got hear as I was hitting Send. Id posted this and my wife was standing over me..handing me the box.

Reply to
Gunner Asch