Harley Davidson (metal content)

Police issues of the Harley Davidson have systems that actually abate the n oise of exhaust. Are these systems (mufflers, etc.) not available to the g eneral public? Why are these consumer quality bikes so f.... loud? Since all riders seem to be over the age of 55 (at least in Oregon) you would thi nk they would appreciate some tranquility. Must be tiring to take a long r oad trip and have to put up with that constant noise.

Another question: Can't they design these bikes so they maintain an idle? Riders have to constantly play with the throttle at stop signs to keep the engines from stalling.

Ivan Vegvary (original owner of a 1964 BMW R69S) (Yes, that makes me 70 years old)

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Another question: Can't they design these bikes so they maintain an idle? Riders have to constantly play with the throttle at stop signs to keep the engines from stalling.

Ivan Vegvary (original owner of a 1964 BMW R69S) (Yes, that makes me 70 years old)

Well , Ivan , they come from the factory with a quiet exhaust system . Then the first thing guys do is take it off and put on something louder . I don't understand it either , and I ride a Harley myself . Fact is that I have quieted the exhaust system on every Harley I've owned . A good performing exhaust doesn't need to be loud . The current system on mine is a pair of modified '99 muffs on stock head pipes with the crossover blocked . Cut the tail end off and pulled the baffles , drilled every other hole larger for flow , and replaced the plugs that had been drilled/punched out . When I reassembled them I used a fiberglass packing , retained against the outer shell by a metal mesh cage . They were very quiet at first , though now after several years they're a bit louder . Still quiet enough that I can hear my tunes ... On the idle thing , I guess some guys just have to draw attention . Don't get that either .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Factory stock pipes on a Harley are quiet. The problem is the wanna be "bikers" seem to believe the "loud pipes save lives" BS.

The facts show otherwise.

One thing I have never understood is the "Harley builds the best bike" attitude. Then you look at the "Harley" they are talking about and is has a custom engine, trans, wheels, bars, seat, exhaust. The only HD piece is the frame.... Plus it might have 3-4 thousand miles on it.

I just retired my big bike. The frame is starting to show metal fatigue, it only had 318,377.9 miles on it. Not bad for an 83 Venture Royale...

Reply to
Steve W.

Wow! 300,000 plus miles. unheard of for a bike. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I think Harley's niche is catering to the 'loud' & chrome mentality types. If you ask me, pretty much everything they do anymore is show off and/or 'image' related, even at the expense of good design, performance & economy.

Pretty sure Harley insures the 'loud' by, amongst other things, cam's that get their exhaust valves open early enough to release excessive residual pressure.

Goosing the throttle (or 'rapping the pipes') at lights has become tradition for those types, and they assuredly wouldn't have it any other way.

Didn't even know Harley still produced for the legal industry, but suspect such engines would absolutely sport well designed cams.

I'm going on 60, and don't remember seeing a Harley cop bike here in LA since I was a kid (and those were 'loud' as well)

However, LAPD used to have a bunch of Harley trikes they used for parking enforcement, but they were phased out probably in the mid to late 70's... heard it was because of their astronomical accident rate. Remember them being especially silly looking, and cops on them looking like some variety of deranged pedaphile buffoons.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Every 15 years HD leaps 10 years ahead, leaving them only 5 years behind the rest of the motorcycle industry tech. Since their market is only interested in image, their R&D goes into styling.

Oddly, Milwaukee PD and county Sheriff's deputies still ride HD and that won't change soon.

Does LAPD use Hondas? I remember reading they had some Beemers, too.

The HD meter maid trikes were 45CI flat heads, slow and outdated even when new. I saw some PD trikes in St. Louis about 20 years ago based on the Honda CX500, an excellent bike ahead of its time.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Harleys sell because of the noise and the chrome. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gunner, current owner of a 73 BMW R90/6 (and Ill be 60 in 4 months)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

My Beemer has nearly 200,000 on it (187,xxx) and Ill someday take off the heads and check the valves. I put 160k on it myself after I brought it home in 3 large cardboard boxes.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Most of the cops in So. California ride BMWs

Reply to
Gunner Asch

To honest haven't paid much attention to them lately... will keep an eye out.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Nah, I know of a few that have mileage like that.

Just takes some LONG trips, Like a trip to Alaska, A couple round trips across to Cali.

Reply to
Steve W.