New hip (metal content)

Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been bother=
ing me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel it bu=
t people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the=
hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my S=
WMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 =
ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lo=
st 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I r=
ealized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!
If any of you have =93been there, done that=94 I would like to hear from yo=
u.
Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
me for over 25 years.
people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
I haven't been there, but my neighor 4 doors down is on his 4th and last hip. One leg is 3 inches shorter than the other now and he wears a builtup shoe sole. Needless to say, he's on disability. I can ask him for advice for you if you like, Ivan. I think he's tried both plastics and metal during his 60 years on Earth.
-- In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to our efforts. -- Peter McWilliams
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Chronic lower back pain . Some days worse , especially in stormy weather . Mine's probably not as severe as many , but it's *always* there . Most days I take nothing , sometimes a couple of ibuprofen , occasionally it's bad enough for something stronger . And my grandkids call me Grumpaw .
Reply to
Snag
me for over 25 years.
people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Sorry to hear of your problem. I haven't gone there, but have friends and relatives that have. If you're diabetic, expect a long recovery. Hope not.
If the replacement is titanium, then it's probably cast right here in Redmond, Oregon.
We have a new circuit board customer that is engineering devices to automate the manufacture of replacement components based on 3D x-ray scans of the original and the socket it fits.
Paul
Reply to
Paul Drahn
Ivan Vegvary formulated on Wednesday :
After a lot of pain I had my left hip replaced in 1988 and the right one in 1992. Yes 20 years ago. They are both still going fine with no pain after the first week or so. And yes I am 77 now. I believe the originals were damaged in a car accident but no doctor would admit it at the time.
Reply to
John G
me for over 25 years.
people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Greetings Ivan, I have not had a hip replacement myself but I do knoe several men who have had either hip or knee replacements. In every case they have been very happy with the new joints. Chronic pain is indeed something that can have a really strong negative effect on your quality of life. If artificial wrist joints were made that can stand up to the typical loads that metalworking and land maintenance put on them I would get them installed asap. So good luck and enjoy! And after the installation be sure to do all the physical therapy. I learned that physical therapy done right can make a huge difference in the outcome. After several reconstructive surgeries and the therapy required subsequent to the surgeries I witnessed people who would not do what they were told who ended up having limited range of motion. People who had lesser injuries than mine but outcomes worse than mine. I saw this several times, enough to know it wasn't that I was just healing better. So get the hip, do the exercises, and you'll get all the benefits. Eric
Reply to
etpm
My 80+ yo neighbor broke his hip teaming his oxen in rocky woodland. Toughed it out for two weeks (!) because, you know, you only go to the hospital to die. So he went to the hospital to die and they put in a prosthetic joint. The the PT babe comes around and says, "Do thus and so and the push as hard as you can."
Well, the PT babe sees flabby, weak retired accountant octegenarians. So Sammy pushes and his new hip simply pops out of its socket. Well, he's been loading and unloading a cord of wood every day plus feeding and driving his oxen before the woods accident. Not flabby.
Surgeon resets his hip, chagrinned PT babe does her thing more carefully. And he doesn't die. Six months later he's out in the woods again, loading cordwood with his oxen and went on doing that till nearly 90, the year before he died.
Among people I know, there's a total of 5 hips, all of them success.
ObMetalwork: Circa 1973, an MD friend brought me a metal hip ball that he'd fished out of the OR sink -- shiny, pretty thing. (Replaced because of a bad rection to the alloy in that particular patient. Doesn't happen much anymore.) He wanted me to make a door knocker out of it. So I did and had it on display at a craft market where he was to pick it up. Annnnnnddd....
A surgeon came by, saw the knocker and threw a hissy fit. Bad taste, I had no right, where did I steal it, what surgeon gave it to me, not right for people to see such a thing yada yada. Managed to get rid of him before my friend showed up.
Reply to
Mike Spencer
Only one thing I can pass on from Mom, specifically about getting both your knees done but it probably applies to hips too: If you need them both done, do them both in one shot and get it over with. One operation, One recovery, One PT and retraining period, and you are Done With It and back in your little Stick car and back to your active life.
The surgeons and hospital staff don't like it and will resist doing it that way, because the surgery takes almost twice as long but they only get paid a small premium for the extra time - Less that they could get for getting two people through the operating room (one joint each) in the same day, and they get to go to Lunch on time.
The Hospital doesn't like it, because they only get one operating room charge out of you, and one recovery stay...
But SCREW THEM, it's your body. You really want to go under General Anesthesia and through all that associated crap twice? I sure the hell don't, and hope I never have to - but that's the way to go.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
me for over 25 years.
people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Hey Ivan,
I had 2 new knees done in 2008. Working great.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
Reply to
Brian Lawson
This sounds like he had a surgical infection that got into the bone.
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn