trailer capacity

I have a two wheel utility trailer. It is a single axle with 15" five lug wheels. How can I figure out its carrying capacity? Is there any stamp or raised lettering on the axle?

I want to carry two 500# ATVs, some camping gear, plus the weight of the trailer. If not stamped somewhere, anyone hazard a guess on its capacity?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm no authority on trailers, nor their carrying capacity, but the rating of the tires is likely to be more of a concern than the axle. If the axle comes from a known automobile, certainly the weight of the car would be some kind of an indicator of its ability to carry a given load successfully.

The included weight you speak of isn't all that much, considering it's shared between two tires. Check the tires to see what they are capable of carrying, and at what pressure.

Good luck!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Sometimes, depending on who made the axle. Best to go to an RV Repair shop and have them take a peek underneath, they can ID the parts at a glance.

The average single axle I've seen is 2,000 pounds, and they can range from 1,000 to 3,500. But don't guess blindly, have someone ID it by spring size and leaf count, axle design, etc.

Check on the ID Plate, some trailers spell it all out on a sticker.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

FWIW, which isn't much, my new utility trailer is 5' X 11', single axle with

2500 lb springs, and 13" tires. It's payload rating is 1,850 Lbs ( trailer is 800 lbs, and the tongue weight is apparently removed from the axle rating). If your trailer is a home-made, then general robustness may be a limiting factor, but in general 15" tires can handle your load.

Brian

Reply to
Brian