Trailer coupling - suggestions as to brand?

I have owned my utility trailer for about 20 years - and it looked as used/old then as now. This is a light duty trailer - axle was from a Honda 600 (cut in half and sleeved with a tube, I replaced the 10 inch dia wheels w/ 13 inch RX7 wheels when it became harder to source 10 inch tires) - that I occasionaly load up to 1 ton. Twice the trailer coupler became disconnected from the ball. Once about 8 years ago while traversing some railroad tracks on a dirt road (possibly at a bit too high of speed!), and once again recently. Both times the trailer was empty. After each event I tightened the adjustment nut on the coupler - the last event surprised me since after the first unintentional disengagement I checked and adjusted the coupler so that it just dropped over the ball. Now it is *very* difficult to get the coupler over the ball. I do not know the brand of coupler - probably about 30 years old, lever locking style.

My father has a trailer where there the coupler has a knob to draw up the coupler tounge instead of a lever. I looked but I have not had any luck in seeing any of these still available for purchase. While this style requires more disipline on the part of the trailer user, I feel that I could adjust the tounge for less clearance to the ball than the lever locking style.

Since my coupler is for a 1 7/8 inch dia. ball, I figured I could solve both the anoyance (sp) of switching balls and upgrade to a more robust coupler. So my question is: who makes the best coupler? Class 2 as a minimum - although all the links below are Class 3. Brands that I have found include: Valley, Atwood, Fulton.

Do you have either good or bad experince with any of these? Other suggestions? Rather than buying something from Harbor Freight or similar - I want to kill this (disengagement) problem - dead!

Reply to
aribert

Do you have either good or bad experince with any of these? Other

Reply to
RoyJ

Do you have either good or bad experince with any of these? Other

I have had several of these Bulldog couplers and they seem almost indestructible.

Up North

How would you compare the operation of the Bulldog to the traditional lever coupler? Is the Bulldog easier to align over the ball? I never looked at these closely until you provided the link (could not figure out how they worked until I looked at the larger picture).

indestructible.http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&p...> Steve

Reply to
aribert

indestructible.http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&p...>> Steve

I really don't notice much difference but that coupler was on a lighter trailer than I use now and could be pushed sideways without a problem. I can usually can get close enough to set the coupler on top of the ball and kick the tongue sideways and it drops right on. It helps if the trailer is wide enough to see in the mirrors when backing up. Steve

Reply to
Up North

We had one of these on the family tent camper, minus the toggle lever. To lock, the side had to be squeezed in so the sleeve would slide forward under spring pressure and lock things. It always worked, even when it got rusty. Got some nice blood blisters a few times from getting pinched by the sleeve, too. I always worried about the sleeve spring rusting out, but it never did. Getting the sleeve back after a long trip was always fun, my dad always had a rubber mallet to tenderize it, road vibration really wedged it. Might be why they added the toggle.

I've never had a regular lever-type latch pop open, all the ones I've had have had safety pins to lock the thing open or shut. A 1/4" pin would have to be sheared clear through for the latch to pop open. Not happening. If it was cheaply made, maybe the inner movable tongue would get battered and bent open, I've not had that happen, either. I've had a wooden trailer tongue break, but the hitch stayed latched to the ball!

For those that are hitching up single-handed, I've found nothing better than the hitching aid that HF(and others) sell. A set of two yellow tennis balls on telescoping masts that are mounted on big refrigerator magnets. One goes on the coupler, the other goes on the vehicle hitch and the balls are pulled up so you can see them when backing up. I put one on the hitch ball itself. Aim one ball at the other, when the one on the hitch ball falls off, the coupler is over the top of the ball. Works rain or shine, day or night, usually first time, even for a dub at backing like me. See:

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Thats whats installed on my CargoMate...a 5x8 clone of the WellsCargo trailer.

Works good , though I had to ponder on it for a bit the first time I saw it.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch

After I started using a lunette ring type coupling, there is nothing in the world that could return me to a ball coupling, ever.

Reply to
Ignoramus11056

I've always heard that called a bulldog coupler. I have one on my 18-ft enclosed tag trailer

Reply to
RB

Iggy Is a lunette ring type coupling compatible with a sway control? I started running my 7 X 16 7000lb cargo trailer with a Equalizer brand sway control after a guy I had diving my pickup and trailer lost control on I 29 just north of St Jo.Missouri. One hell of a ride that was. The trailer swayed a little and instead of slowing down he tried to steer out of it. We ended up jackknifed on an overpass with three of the four trailer wheels bent. Three Missouri Highway patrolman returning from a class stopped and helped get things straightened out and escorted us to a Menards where I bought new tires and wheels. I repaired the trailer nose when I got home and installed a sway control before the next trip. My truck still has flat spotted tires and they have so much tread I hate to replace them. I have seen more than one bumper pull trailer in the ditch when it took the tow vehicle for a ride. Semis speeding past are one of the biggest causes for loss of control. Now my rig barely wiggles in that situation. Steve

Reply to
Up North

No idea, good question. I try not to go too fast if I pull anything heavy, that's my sway control.

Ignoramus11056