Wish Me Luck !

I've decided to go into business for myself (been there before ...) building window bars and A/C surrounds . I've checked a few local
fabricators , and I can beat their prices by a pretty fair margin . Nothing fancy , just basic security bars . Just returned from the steel yard with a load of stock for fabricating samples ... Getting laid off last week might be a blessing !
--
Snag
When times get tough , break-ins go up ... are YOU protected ?

Be sure your errors and omissions insurance is paid up!
And I do wish you good luck!
Paul
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@coinet.com wrote:

Guess I need to research that one ! E&O coverage ... and thanks !
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

I too wish you luck. Where are you?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Nadogail wrote:

I'm in Memphis , Tn. - and we already got a crime problem , I just gotta market my solution . Thanks !
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

Wow, I spent a big part of a year at NAS Memphis (Millington). Things have gone down hill since the mid 70's.
βœ–
Wes wrote:

It's gotten pretty bad . Our street (Macon / Highland area , about a mile due south of National Cemetery) was a nice middle-income-racially-mixed street 20 years ago when we bought . Mowed lawns , kids playing out in the yards . Now we have as many empty houses as occupied , most have been broken into . Some are used as flops by ho's . And crackheads , but we don't have as many of those now that the crack dealer moved . Police arrive now two cars at a time - when they come at all . And it's pretty much the same all over . Shootings , muggings , carjacks , half of it doesn't even make the news . Unless there's blood " If it bleeds it leads" . And now I strap on a pistol to mow the yard ... we've only had two drive-by's this month , both at the end of the block .
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

Back in 1976, I stopped into a gun shop on the main drag in Millington during the winter.
The guy had just been robbed. One customer distracted him while another lifted a .25 ACP pistol. He wasn't terribly worried about the loss other than it was a robbery. His parting comment was if whoever stole it shoots someone with it in winter, their coat is going to stop the round and the victim is going to kill them. True story.
βœ–
Terry Coombs wrote:

Bring a sample around to the local locksmiths and leave them your card. They likely will be very interested in somebody that can make custom work quickly, and local.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jon Elson wrote:

A most excellent idea , thank you !!!
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta
Terry Coombs wrote:

Just be sure you get adequate liability insurance to cover your posterior.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Pete C. wrote:

I'm wondering where I'm open to liability , since you're the second person to mention insurance coverage . Perhaps in the event one of my units fails ? I can't see the bar unit itself failing , but perhaps the surface it's mounted on ...
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

Think in terms of "Product Liability" suits - the one where the frustrated perp clobbers it with his hand and then sues you for making the bars too hard since his hand was broken when he hit it.
Or the one where a kid runs into a corner and gets scratched...
Although most are the result of some shyster trying to get rich by filing BS suits, the occasional one slips through: Do you remember the broad who sued McDonald's over the coffee?
Add pictures here
βœ–
RAM³ wrote:

Yeah , I remember that one , who doesn't ! What's sad is that you're right , perps have in fact collected on silly suits like that . Gives me some food for though , thanks .
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

I believe in that case, she won because that McD's had been warned repeatedly that their coffee was excessively hot. There's hot coffee, and then there's 'burn on contact' coffee.
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yeah, my understanding of that case is that the case was sound, but the settlement was larger than even the jury expected. It was based on the something like the proceeds of the money McDonalds made in one day by selling their coffee in the US. Turned out to be a much larger number than the jury anticipated.
Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

The large award was remittitured by the judge and the actual settlement was stated to be enough to pay her hospital bills.
Any other person in the world would have immediately jumped out of the slow-moving car and flapped their clothing to cool off the liquid in about 30 seconds, never receiving more than a red patch of skin from the experience. <sigh>
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
βœ–

Most people wouldn't have held an easily-distorted cup of hot coffee between their thighs to take the top off and add sugar in the first place.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I believe in that case, she won because that McD's had been warned repeatedly that their coffee was excessively hot. There's hot coffee, and then there's 'burn on contact' coffee.
To properly brew drip coffee you need water that is between 190 and 200 degrees F. Burger King has a liquid instant product that doesn't have to be as hot.
The suit was BS. As an example, if she had ordered hot tea, that should start with water that is at a full boil.
--

Roger Shoaf

βœ–

be
You don't know what you are talking about. Any time you are in business and are selling a product to the public you are obligated to make sure that product is not harmful to people. If it is and you sell it and it harms someone you are liable for their injuries. McDonalds had been warned over and over their coffee was too hot and many people had already been burned. McDonalds ignored the warnings and went on selling its coffee at a temp that was dangerous. The woman who sued got 3rd degree burns and spent three days in the hospital. I'd say that coffee was dangerously hot. So she was awarded the proceeds of a day's worth of coffee sales for the whole chain. For a company that big to be deterred from doing something the price to it has to be big. The lawsuit was not frivolous and the woman deserved what she got. But if you knew the facts you would know that.
Hawke
Add pictures here
βœ–