Wish Me Luck !

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:41:48 -0600, the infamous "Pete C." scrawled the following:

And in Robert Cialdini's book, _Influence_, the shop owner who left word with her saleswoman to halve the price due to lack of sales is another good story. The woman thought the note said to double the price (missed the 1/ in 1/2?) and the items sold out within the week at the 2X higher price.

Ed put me on to that book and I've quoted numerous items from it ever since. Highly recommended, and reading it could -literally- save your life. (Read Devictimizing Yourself in the Social Proof chapter.)

-- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. -- Confucius

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Just finished reading _Predictably Irrational_ _The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions_ by Dan Ariely. ISBN 978-0-06-135323-9

Absolutely Fascinating.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:03:27 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Swap for _Ricochet_? ;)

-- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. -- Confucius

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote: (...)

I'd go for it, but the library might object.

I could spare Ira Flatow's _They All Laughed_ ISBN 978-0-06-092415-7

Wudja Think?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:36:28 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Yeah, they're picky about that. Shucks.

Good news: Our county library will open again by the end of December

2008. They closed it in April of 2007 due to loss of income. I want to read the rest of John Ringo's books, and maybe I can find your library book there.

Sounds like a plan. It's even autographed. (Nah, not by the author. Who wants that?) By Sir Ed of Joisey (and maybe Sir Lawrence of Oryguns.)

Gonna be anywhere near Concord in a couple weeks? I'll be down there, bouncing between my sister's and Mom's flat in Valley Jo. Otherwise we can mail 'em.

-- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. -- Confucius

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

No such luck, I'm afeerd.

I shall pop this into the mail ASAP.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

After the fourth time I told the alarm company canvassers to get lost the next one to ring my doorbell (a petit Asian girl), I offered to demonstrate my Staffordshire alarm system and Winchester anti-theft equipment. About five minutes latter, one of the city's finest was at my door. When I explained what had happened and he stopped laughing, he suggested a no soliciting sign for my door, then if they persisted, I would be justified in treating doorbell ringing pests as trespassers, taking whatever steps required to get them across the property line. Apparently the little Asian gal needed laundry help! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

You also need a "good" price. several years ago I accompanied SWMBO to a sales promotion meeting. It took some explaining to the presenter that his item marked $22.50 would never sell, whereas, if he priced it at $24.95, he would be sold out in no time. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:22:38 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Ditto southward.

-- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. -- Confucius

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bring a sample around to the local locksmiths and leave them your card. They likely will be very interested in somebody that can make custom work quickly, and local.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The risk is imbeciles. Someone pays you X thousand $ to bar up all their windows and doors. Then the house catches on fire, and they can't break out. Then, they sue you for "killing" their family members.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hi Terry,

No it's not really double.... There's a magic hole in the back yard of each employer, that money seems to pop out of, for SSI... the money kinda "miracles itself there". Where in "THE WIDE, WIDE WORLD of sports" is Darwin when you need him most????

Good luck on the "putin' out the shingle thing", for me it's worth at least $25 per hour just knowing what I'm doing tomorrow... Or maybe what I'm "not" doing (I love to say NO SALE).

BTW, all the stuff about insuring and indemnity, do it (risk based on books, but shop around). Also real friends don't mind if you take forever cause you're busy, and you're getting a case of beer anyway (you better)! Last, be friends with a real walk in welding or fabricating shop so when someone (city, state, airport, etc.) finds you, you can say "X" does that a lot and they can slip you in (make the call for them).

Oh, almost forgot, got caught in the AMT window 3 times before talking to the tax lady about it, didn't know you can plop money in municipals, get 10%, flip off the state and feds, and still do OK.

Matt (out'a the rat race 15 years now)!

Reply to
matthew maguire

Actually a special 'bump' key is used along with the rap.

Didn't even think about the cordless chain saw. Or a conventional electric running off an inverter in the get away vehical.

Also makes it easier to load the gun safe in to the truck bed. Golf balls work wonders.

And if you don't want someone to come in, keep a damn low profile as to what you have.

Living in a decent area is the best way to protect your stuff, along with having neighbors that keep an eye on each others place. That doesn't work so well in the country though. But then gunshots are not noticed as much either.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

And they'd be right. As a professional, you have the obligation NOT to do something stupid. Like the patient who says, "Doc, go ahead and take my brain out. I hardly ever use it anyway."

As an equipment operator, a crane operator, a welder, and lots of other crafts, when some clueless person tells you to do something stupid and illegal, you don't have to do it.

Like when yo mama said, "If Johnny jumps over the cliff .............................."

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A most excellent idea , thank you !!!

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm laughin' my ass off at that one - of course that might be partly because I'm kinda drunk right now ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

But I did , and Johnny and I both survived ! Of course , Johnny is a quadriplegic now ... My brain is churnin' , by the time I build the first set for a kid's window , I'll have an answer . Had some great suggestions already ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'll read this one again tomorrow , when I'm sober ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:08:44 -0600, the infamous "Terry Coombs" scrawled the following:

-- In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted. -- Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You just want to read the sexy stuff in the Ghost series.

Gunner, who has downloaded most of them from the binary groups, then went out and bought hard copies.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch