tread dimesions

anyone know were i can find dimensions on different treads the most important right know is 3/8 NPT i have to cut it in my lathe but do not have the dimensions dia, pitch etc.

-- Mvh Jonas L

"real racecars don't have door's"

d-racer

You can find almost anything you need to know about threads in a Machinery's Handbook. My opinion is no shop should be without one.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

But first you have to know how to spell "threads" :)

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The Stair Builder's Handbook will give you tread and riser dimensions.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

I will second Harold's suggestion that every shop should have a Machinery's Handbook.

Be that as it may. The dimensions for a 3/8 - 18 NPT are as follows:

18TPI Pitch .0556 .750 Taper per foot 1 degree 47 minutes angle with the centerline OD of pipe .675 Hand tight engagement .240 (if I was doing this I would get a fitting to use as a gage for fit up)

This information from page 1774 25th edition of M.H.

The pipe must be tapered before threading. This can be done using a taper attachment or using the offset tail stock method. The thread tool is set to the straight portion of the pipe NOT the tapered section when setting up for threading. This information taken from Machining Fundamentals by John R. Walker. I have never had occasions to make a tapered thread so I am relying on the text information.

If yo do not have a textbook that shows this I perhaps could scan the info and post it to the dropbox.

Good luck and get thee to a used book emporium and buy a Machinery's Handbook. It doesn't matter what edition. Any is better than none!

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff

sorry about the spelling but english isn't my 1:th language therefore i don't have the Machinery's Handbook either since i live in europe almost all info in books here is metric and some regular sizes of UNC UNF and Whitwort threads ;) hoped for someone to have a home page with the info on a lot of different dimensions that can be very usefull some times

d-racer

"Errol Groff" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
d-racer

Reply to
Ken Davey

Every thing you want to know and every thing you never wanted to know. There are so many odd threads that you will probably never see in a lifetime. The other day we had a discussion about garden hose threads. I always figured they only came in one size. No, there are bunch of sizes that hose connection come in. And then there are fire hose connections and then there are ...............

Scp

Reply to
Stephen

thanks that*s the type of listing i was looking for

d-racer

"Ken Davey" skrev i meddelandet news:c5qbe6$4elf9$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-216732.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
d-racer

OH i'm well aware of the thousands of different threads there are in the world but are interested of those you find when you work on cars bikes etc and since the most common here is metric that is what you find :(

d-racer

"Stephen" skrev i meddelandet news:Hs2gc.31741$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Reply to
d-racer

SNIP

WOW!! That's got a TON of good stuff

Thanks. Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Hey, no apology necessary. Have you considered how poorly most of us are where it comes to a second language? Hell, for the most part, most of us here in the States don't know English all that well! I'd suggest you do just fine and should be proud of you ability to communicate with us.

therefore

That makes sense, but the information you'll find in Machinery's Handbook is sort of universal in nature, so if you can find one in a used book store, I strongly suggest you get it. It can be useful in so many ways, not just machining. Like Errol said, it need not be a new edition. I'm still using the one I bought as a young man back in the late 50's, a 15th edition.

Like you, I appreciate the link provided by Ken. I took a quick look and didn't find pipe threads listed on the main page, but perhaps they have listed them elsewhere. If not, the information provided by Errol will surely get you through the job at hand.

Good luck with your project.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos