Turning Brass to Gun Metal

I would like to turn some brass buckles on a leather briefcase into a gun metal finish. What product or kit should I get to do the job?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Most of my life I thought of "gun metal" as being a sort of white color, like I saw on handguns. However, I now understand that gun metal is a bronze color, basically the color of the metal they cast cannons out of between say 1760 and 1870. So your brass buckles likely are already very close to a gun metal finish.

You may understand 'gun metal' differently. Why don't you post the URL of a good picture that looks like what you want?

Grant

Michael wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks, Grant. The gun metal I'm thinking of is the almost black, gloss finish. Perhaps a better description is a very dark gray.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

you get a nice finish, very antique, by putting your brass bits ina a ziplock bag full of sawdust dampened with household ammonia, leave it three or four days giving it a jiggle around now and then. I used a ziplock because its pretty disgusting smell hehehehe

iain

Reply to
iain

Gunner

"No man shall be debarred the use of arms. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm those only who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants. They ought to be designated as laws not preventative but fearful of crimes, produced by the tumultuous impression of a few isolated facts, and not by thoughtful consideration of the inconveniences and advantages of a universal decree." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks for all the help on this question. I really appreciate it.

Mike

Michael