Used Headache Balls?

I was wondering -- does anyone know of a place to get used headache balls in Southern California?

I've started working sheet metal and would like to use one or two for stakes. I'm looking for sizes somewhere between a shot put and a bowling ball.

[For those who don't know what a headache ball is -- it's the round ball at the end of a cranes cable, used to stabilize the cable and hook, or to knock down buildings.]
Reply to
jpolaski

If all you need is a spherical or semi-spherical steel shape, I'd suggest looking to buy one directly. Wagner has them (with a 3/16" hole, big deal) in diameters up to 12":

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I thought those things were for ironworkers to stand on while riding up in the structure.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Well, yes, but don't tell OSHA!

Reply to
jpolaski

No, those are to almost kill the help (me) when erecting my brothers timber frame home.

A crane operator in a hurry to go home is dangerous.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Since even at scrap prices, those things are heavy and would be expensive, why dont you just buy a proper stake, made for this use? I have a "football" shaped stake I bought from Ron Fournier- rather than a straight spherical shape, it has several different radiuses and shapes on it, bigger and smaller curves, and it is just the top 1/3, then flat on the bottom, so you get the same size at 1/3 the weight.

Several of the sheetmetal gurus sell these forming tools, and they are in stock, ready to ship, and easy to make a stand for.

With a real headache ball, you are talking crummy surface finish, large weight, round shape that wants to roll away, and very expensive new, tough to find used.

Here are Ron's- only $57 each!

Ries

He makes bigger ones too- I just noticed how small the ones I linked to are- mine is bigger, and I know he makes a 7" round one for about a hundred and a quarter.

Ron is the man- I took a workshop from him years ago, and he is a beauty to watch work. And all his tools are good, or he wouldnt be selling em.

Reply to
Ries