Using ATF as a Way Lubricant

Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

I do. Clausing 8540 miller

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

ATF is just an oil with a 10-15 viscosity and a heavy detergent/anti-foam package. Works good for a lot of things. Dad used to mix it 50% with Kerosene for penetrating oil.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I use it a lot. You have to be careful as it will destroy some seals, like on my indexing table. It has very good water rejection. It will absorb some water as all oils do, but a centerfuge readily spins the water out. It is also too light for conventional Way oil, as its viscosity is around 150 Saybolt and Way oil should be around 350. It will work very well on ball bearing ways, like surface grinders. You should not use ATF in oil sump, spash lube machines! ATF has additives that keep contaminates in suspension just like normal motor oil. Machine lube oils have no chemical additives, which allows particulates to settle out in the sump. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Wasn't there a test a while back, ATF + acetone beat out all the commercial "liquid wrench" type products? /m

Reply to
Mark F

Here is the link to the ATF and acetone solution as a penetrating oil

Carl Boyd

Reply to
Carl

In the last few years, the way oils (that have a "68" in them) have become available in small quantities, like, 1 gallon. Try MSC. I'd prefer an oil with a higher viscosity the ATF. If one gallon sounds like too much, think of the cost of having the ways repaired or loosing accuracy due to wear. I use it on surface grinder, lathe and mill.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------------

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Why not use way oil as way oil???

a gallon that costs $18 (IIRC) will last you a very long time.

Ignoramus17662

Steve,

After honing an engine block, or assembling an engine I use ATF on a lint free towel to wipe down the cylinder bores. I do the same for milling contact points before final assembly. It has a detergent property and is an old trick I learned years ago. It cleans up bores really well and also works on fouling on firearm bores and barrels. A quick wipe down then assembly or it attracts any air-borne particles of funk. Works like a charm.

Respects,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
Rob Fraser

McMasters has vactra #2. Down at bottom of page.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

To get my way oil and spindle oil, I just went to a local company that is a large fuel oil supplier. They sell all kinds of industrial lubricants. I told them what I wanted, they took me out back to some huge tanks and filled my little containers. That's it. It pays to be humble, too, since they usualy deal in larger sales.

I did this about 20 years ago. I did buy 5 gallons of way oil and one gallon of spindle oil. Yesterday I went out to refill one of my way oil squirt cans and noticed that the 5 gallon pail is half empty! Maybe one gallon isn't even a lifetime supply! 2 lathes, vertical mill, surface grinder.

Pete Stanaitis