Veterans Day

We've discussed it and decided not to see a head shrinker after all.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The voices outvoted you?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Don't they always? He always caves to that high voice they use! :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There was a well-written episode of Buffy that explored what it would mean to hear the voices in other peoples' heads, and be unable to turn them off. The viewers could hear them too and most of them weren't pleasant.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Retire at 55, even if they had to hold the program over for ten days in order to see me gone! I went out with 45% pension, I was money ahead when I considered my cost to go to work. Scared the s***t out of meat first; now I don't know how I ever found time to go to work.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Had my top teth out in '59 and the remaining 9 1/2 lower ones two years ago, still working on a set of dentures that are functional (dental school) but have high hopes for my birthday in May.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

No, me, myself, and I all voted against.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, actual mind-reading like that would be a real bummer most of the time.

Mel Gibson did well with "What Women Think". Fun movie.

< I HARD Buffy > Or was that "heart"?
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Kudos and a Mega AttaBoy! going out to that guy. HE knows what "charity" means.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What women WANT...

Reply to
Richard

Actually you are a bit off. The president of the Salvation Army received W. Todd Bassett and his wife Carol A. Bassett jointly received basic living allowances and grants totaling $64,210 for 2004 plus housing valued at $34,116.

Which is considerably less than most other charities pay their people. In comparison:

Marsha J. Evans, the president of the American Red Cross, was paid $651,957 in 2004. The president of the United Way is now Ralph Dickerson Jr. and his current salary is $420,000 per year, according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

You're Welcome! I know I'm proud of *MY* curmudgeonry, It's a badge of honor!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

+1
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Kind of like non stop Obama speeches?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But getting to the point when you are ready to lead a major non-profit mean s you are probably already a millionaire or more from having lead more lucr ative operations.

Many of the people in this newsgroup have worked for other people or organi zations for years and have little or no money saved up and are in horrible health and are now living on social security.

A frequent visit to the Salvation Army or other free used clothing and food pantry or some other assisted living organization is a good idea for peopl e here. Find a soup kitchen if you can.

But there is even something even better in urban/suburban areas for the han dicapped called "meals on wheels". They will drive to your residence with clothing and hot food. They have social workers who can find residential nu rsing services right to your front door.

Rural areas don't always have this kind of thing. If you get hurt, the amb ulance may have to drive for hours and hours to reach you.

Reply to
mogulah