Virtual welding

We ran an article in July that may be of some interest to the welders (weldors?) here -- training welders with a virtual welding setup. It's mostly of interest to commercial fabricators but it could be the future of welding training for a lot of us.

Anyway, judge for yourself:

Ed Huntress

Many (25 or so) years ago, I designed an O/A simulator for the College of A eronautics at LaGuardia airport. We had am analog lightpen built into a tor ch with pots or the O & A valves, a touchscreen and a programmable videodis k player. All very cool stuff for its day. We built five prototypes, fully functional, and as far as I know, they did use them in the classroom.

Reply to
rangerssuck

'Sounds cool. You should see the system Lincoln Eletric has now. Wow.

One slick thing about it is that it tells the student what he did wrong.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'm lucky, I've got a wife that does that :)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

f Aeronautics at LaGuardia airport. We had am analog lightpen built into a torch with pots or the O & A valves, a touchscreen and a programmable video disk player. All very cool stuff for its day. We built five prototypes, ful ly functional, and as far as I know, they did use them in the classroom.

Our machine did too. I swear, some day I'm going to meet the voice-over act or face-to-face, he's gonna say, "you need to adjust the acetylene needle v alve, not the oxygen needle valve" and I'm going to deck him.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Ed Huntress wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I played with one at the Eastec show about a year & a half ago. I've never done any welding except O/A about 50 years ago, and it was very interesting. I did OK for my first weld, but clearly need a bit more practice. It provides real-time feedback on what you are doing wrong, and I was improving as I went.

Definitely a great gadget for a vocational school.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

That's what I like about the whole idea. Quick feedback has to get you up to speed a lot faster.

Reply to
Ed Huntress