wanted: machinist or shop in CLEVELAND for one-off

if anybody out there has a precision machine shop in cleveland, or knows somebody that does, and is looking for one side project for a little extra money, please let me know. i need a post turned, could be out of stainless, or could be out of cast iron, even. exact dimensions can be discussed, but in total the post base and extension will be no more than about eight inches high.

it needs to be bored, or tapped, through the bottom as a provision for being mounted to a surface plate. there will be some other loose pieces involved, such as hardened bolts, washers, etc., but the post is my concern at the moment.

for a visual example of what i'm talking about, please visit the following link:

or

the stainless one is relatively new, while the cast iron one is about

70 years old.

thanks very much. long time reader, first post. take care. dp

Reply to
ported.cycles

Can't help you on a shop but you got me curious. I've never made bicycle frames so what's that thing for?

Jim

Reply to
Jim McGill

Looks like a gadget that you use with a flat table to set the frame up so it's jigged correctly. Cycle frames are made on jigs - some are tables, some are space-frames, some probably are cobbled together out of 2x4's.

For that matter, I think there's a recumbent somewhere on the net with a

2x4 for a frame member - and the folding Bicketon has/had a wood-filled rectangular aluminium box for a main spar.
Reply to
_

I might be able to help. Call me 216-791-3265

Reply to
Tom Gardner

after brazing the frame's main triangle, (the front "diamond," or whatever shape it actually happens to be), that post is used to hold the bottom bracket shell (the hole where the cranks go) in place. this way, the bike is suspended above the plate, but parallel to it, and then by any means you wish you can check the height of the tubes from the table. if there are high spots or low spots, you know the bike is a little out of plane, and then the delicate process known as "frame alignment" (aka, big steel bar) begins. i happen to use a surface gauge to measure the height.

after the rear triangle gets brazed up, you then place the frame back on the post and then check for alignment again. repeat, if necessary.

Reply to
ported.cycles

But, you'll have to call me after noon...I have to watch "Family Feud".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks for posting the explanation. I was racking my brain trying to figure this out.

Wes

Reply to
clutch