Was this bad?

Replaced some Mickey-mouse plastic pipe (by others) on my water utility service connection with a piece of galvanized iron pipe and a flexible "copper water heater connector" hose in place of a proper union because space was tight with odd angels, tree roots and other utility features.

Question - the soil is not corrosive in this area - any problem with this being underground?

HDepot had this standard copper flexible water heater connector and a second ss braided kind with no doubt a paper-thin plastic liner - just as the hookup hoses for a washing machine that is sold at a premium and IMHO is no better than standard hoses.

Reply to
Mikie

you put an iron and a copper junction together? that's pretty bad.

around here, they're replacing galvanized underground pipe with plastic. you did the reverse. that's probably not very good.

both together, you should be thinking about replacing it again in a few years.

Reply to
chaniarts

I have a gas line for my grill, that I made out of 1/2 inch black pipe and buried underground. I put some cosmoline around it and wrapped an insulator foam. What do you think about that?

Ignoramus29973

How could you tell that they were angels -- did they have wings and play harps?

I suspect having both underground and directly connected together will cause corrosion in moist soil. (You don't say whether this is a dry or wet area.)

Actually -- worse in my experience. It is a rubber under the SS braid, and it fails suddenly and produces a larger leak than a copper pipe subjected to repeated flexing would start with. The only benerit is that it is easier to install in tight places.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Only wings

Fairly dry - Los Angeles area. Have about 60 ft of 1" copper hooked to galvanized pipes - no plastic isolators as the wh connector has. There has been no problems in 25 years - installed under a similar panic circumstance and I just happened to have the pipe and wanted to get rid of it.

Nobody has invoked the good intentions of the plumbing code yet.

Also saw one of those

I suspected SS hoses was bad S*** but not that bad. At least they 'look good'

Reply to
Mikie

I hate odd tight angels. They don't buy their share of drinks.

Sounds like he had a tight space, so there was some "benerit".

"Who lives by the spelling correction, does by the spelling correction".

.

How could you tell that they were angels -- did they have wings and play harps?

Actually -- worse in my experience. It is a rubber under the SS braid, and it fails suddenly and produces a larger leak than a copper pipe subjected to repeated flexing would start with. The only benerit is that it is easier to install in tight places.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Today's local paper came up with a minor crime called "disturbing the police". At the donut shop??

Reply to
grmiller

Cute, thanks for sharing.

.