What industrial air quick connects

We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new. I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

Ignoramus29973

don't mess around, use mcmaster carr

Karl Townsend

I have been using and am happy with Milton, i have some that are

40 years old and they still work great. They are not cheap but are worth the extra cost.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

"azotic" fired this volley in news:jqrciq$mpv$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

But DO buy the brass ones, and in the "standard industrial" style. They'll fit almost everything that says it's compatible.

OTOH, the cheap knock-offs often do not fit other fittings well.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The brass ones are the way to go.

You can get them wholesale in chicago at B.E. Atlas Co.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

In my Dad's hardware store and later when I worked at Tool & Supply I sold literally thousands of the Milton quick couples in brass. (Probably more like tens of thousands). We had commercial and industrial customers who were as adamant about buying brass Milton couplers as other industrial customers were about only buying Lennox saw blades.

We used to keep a handful of cheap steel couplers on hand for those people who were too cheap to buy the Miltons, but we didn't sell many.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well ... from time to time, MSC puts out batches of them as sets in their sales flyers.

Starting in the "Super Savers" flyer dated through 7/14/12 on the bottom left of page 45 is a three-piece set -- one female and two male for $5.99. One male and the female have a male pipe thread, and the other has a female pipe thread. All 1/4" NPT.

At the top right of the same page are individual connectors, with price breaks at 10 and 50. Two different series, (ARO and "Industrial Interchange") and various choices of pipe thread on each, with different prices depending on the style and gender. The latter style is probably what you want. (BTW, I try to keep a separate coiled hose and connectors for oil-free applications like paint guns, and let the oil for the tools contaminate the coiled hoses with the more common style.

The next page has "Industrial Interchange" all in brass, but without quantity pricing shown. These are various styles varying between pipe threads and barbs for raw connection to the hose.

Then the "Maintenance and Repair" flyer (dated through 7/7/12) has (on page 34 at the bottom sets of five brass females with 1/4" male or female pipe threads "Industrial/Milton" type for $16.99 per set (of five) and steel plugs in sets of 10 for $9.99 for female pipe threads, or $8.99 for male pipe threads. This might be the place to go. Perhaps get three sets of five of the females so you have spares if they start to go bad, and how many sets of the males would depend on how many tools and hoses you need to connect to them.

Of course there are other places, and likely some cheaper, but MSC is quick (one day delivery to me) and the price does not appear to be a killer.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

What goes bad??? -the rubber seals! I made a punch and die and make a big batch of seals every five years or so. It takes about 3 minutes to replace the seals. There are a couple dozen in the drawer that are ready to go so they get switched with the leakers. Most of my connectors are over 40 years old. After closing, I'll walk around with a can of spray paint and mark the leakers. I have about 300 in the shop.

I found that 1/8" silicone rubber sheet used for heat sealer trays works great, I just have it on hand, something else might work better. In any case, save your money!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Northerntool.com has a good selection of Milton, at reasonable $$$. I find the Type V high flow fittings work well on my air tools.

Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

Is it steel pipe? Or more bluntly; it's *not* PVC, is it?

Reply to
David Lesher

There are at least 4 different and non-interchangeable pneumatic quick- connect systems out there, Milton makes them all. What they sell as the "M"-type is what I use, which is NOT what comes as a freebie end with cheapie-chink air tools. Most of the industrial surplus I've seen has had the Lincoln-type ends on it(MIlton's "L"-type), which has a long tubular stem with a locking bulge in the middle. When I started accumulating air tools, I got what the local hardware store had on the pegs, which was Milton and "M"-style. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in performance among the various types, get what you can buy locally and easily. You don't want to have to wait on an order to be making up whips and attaching air tools when you're in production. One handy thing to have is Milton's multi- standard female connector attached to a short whip and a selection of different style male ends, can save the day when using somebody else's air tool(s) on a foreign air source. I think some of the factories use an obscure connector just to keep tools from walking.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Iggy *knows* better than that -- from reading here for years if not from other reasons.

And this was a commercial installation -- pre existing his ownership of the building, and presumably subject to OSHA inspections.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

All steel pipe, 1/2 inch.

Regarding fittings, we scrounged some good used Miltons, we will be using them.

Ignoramus30438

Those leaks cost you a huge amount of money!!!!!!!!!!1

Ignoramus30438

It's a constant battle, like having a phantom employee. The fixtures get hit, bent, pulled, smashed and every other form of physical abuse. We just keep on top. Also, the Quincys slowly get carbon in their valves and work harder and harder. Every month we pull the HP exhaust and clean them. Air IS expensive but sure is handy!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I can sell you a 25 HP Palatek compressor with only 6k hours.

Right now it is wired for 230, but can be easily converted to 460, I have the overload.

Ignoramus9564

That's a screw compressor with sound enclosure.

Reply to
Ignoramus9564

What did the rebuilding involve?

Reply to
Ignoramus15748

Gunner Asch on Mon, 11 Jun 2012 01:42:17 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Guaranteed not to rip, rot, rust, bust, mildew, mold or throw dust for thirty cycles or thirty seconds whichever comes first, provided the customer does not interfere with it.

"It'snot working" "Did you turn it on? "Of course I turned it one!" "I told you not to interfere with it!"

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ah... the pocket watch warrantee, again!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh