"Hi-Flo" quick connects - tried 'em yet?

It's time for me to replace the female quick connect at the end of my airhose, and I am looking at the "hi-flo" units from HF

)

Anyone tried 'em yet? If I switch over, I'll have to replace the dozen or so male fittings I have on various tools, so it'd be nice to know if they're worth it.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Not one Harbor Freight air coupler ever failed me.

I would like to question that *need* for high-flow couplers. What exactly is the tool that needs one?

Ignoramus10294

I suspect they are good for big air grinders, faster cycle times on air riveters, etc. without having to move up to a larger coupler size like

3/8" and introduce incompatibilities in your plant air distribution outlets.
Reply to
Pete C.

Pretty much every HF coupler (female half) I've head leaked badly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 20:42:03 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus10294 scrawled the following:

I've had a few female QD couplers which stuck open on me more than once. That's a PITA, especially when it's on a portable air tank. You don't have any possible refill capacities there on the job.

3/4" impacts, die grinders, and paint guns are a few types which could benefit.

-- After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. -- Aldous Huxley

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a McMaster coupler that does it to me. A maneuver with a small screwdruver fixes it quickly.

3/4 impacts, for sure! I once ran a 2.5" impact (not a typo, it is featured on Wikipedia's impact wrench article if you scroll to the middle), and it definitely did not like those couplers, as well as hoses. :) i
Reply to
Ignoramus10294

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

By dismantling the coupler.

Reply to
Pete C.

Touche'

Reply to
Jerry Wass

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:30:17 -0500, the infamous "Pete C." scrawled the following:

Poor Jerry didn't realize that they screw together, eh? ;)

-- After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. -- Aldous Huxley

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wouldn't say that--I rigged up a punch to make the rubber sealing washers and found out that propane will soften silicone rubber after a week or so..but they last good for air..Ya see, I used quite a few of them---Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Wass

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:33:40 GMT, the infamous Jerry Wass scrawled the following:

Noted.

Yeah, hydrocarbons seem to attack most everything manmade. Try Viton, maybe?

-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nitrile (Buna-N) is good for hydrocarbons. Viton is useful for some acids as well as elevated temps. EPDM is good for amines, which will absolutely eat Viton. Silicone works over an extreme temperature range for some alcohols, vegetable oil, other stuff, not hydrocarbons. My favorite reference for this sort of stuff is the Parker o-ring manual.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:52:07 -0400, the infamous Pete Keillor scrawled the following:

I know Viton is good for some hydrocarbons (gasoline) because it was used in carburetor needle seats for years and years. I sure don't miss rebuilding my Ford carbs. I even did one on the side of the road a mile outside of Mojave (yes, in the desert) one day. I found an auto parts store a mile away, toward town, and bought a small dip can, rebuild kit, and some paper towels. Owners of a house on the side of the road a quarter mile from my wagon allowed me to rebuild it there and rinse it off in their gutter and I had the whole show back on the road in under 2 hours, including the walk. What a way to start a date with a long distance girlfriend...

I should print that. I never seem to read ebooks and I remember DLing that thing in the past year, when we last talked about it.

-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My reference to Viton is from experience, not the book. The preferred material for monoethanolamine is epdm, works great. Somebody in my outfit was used to the "Viton is good for everything" myth, substituted Viton, and we had a nice spill. I got to spend a few hours in the root cause analysis investigation on that one.

The Parker reference recommends N1500-75, a nitrile compound, for gasoline. The fluorinated materials, including Viton, are also rated as satisfactory, most of the others fail. Viton might be preferred at under hood temperatures.

I don't envy you the side of the road deals. I've had a few. I recall crawling under my CJ-5 for a fuel pump replacement somewhere in Wyoming or so on an 8,000 mile jaunt my brother and I took in 1976. That was a great trip, 28 days, camping out, $500 apiece total. First time I saw the Canadian Rockies. Of course, that was also the only time I had a park ranger volunteer where we could get a shower.

I'm glad I made the trip, wouldn't want to repeat under those conditions today.

Pete Keillor

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 20:41:20 -0400, the infamous Pete Keillor scrawled the following:

Ouch. Spills of nasty compounds are never any fun, but the investigations can be.

Yeah, could be.

I was fresh out of UTI with automotive training under my belt, so it was a piece of cake. While I knew a lot going in, I knew a helluva lot more coming out. Then again, had it been a damned Holley, I would still be stranded there today.

I sure hear that. ;)