Autodark helmet from Grizzley for even less than HF!

Just got my Grizzly catalog. They have an autodark helmet for $39.95.

NFI, obviously, I just thought I'd point it out.

Reply to
carl mciver

My local HF store is having a big sale from Jan 14th to the 20th and they're selling this one for $39.99:

Homier sells the same one for $29.99 all the time though. :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

That hood sucks. The one you want is the blue one, with the two switches on the inside, and the darkness control on the outside.

This one

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I have this helmet and it works great.

Ignoramus32654

I know and was just pointing out that HF has one as cheap as the Grizzly and Homier has it even cheaper. I don't have the Grizzly catalog referenced by the OP and I can't find ANY helmets on their Web site so I don't know which type he was talking about.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Hmm. Item H7786, but not on their web site. Catalog says adjustable delay time, sensitivity, and dark shade protection.

Reply to
carl mciver

When it comes to safety I shudder to think of price as a prime motivator

Odds are that helmet is not meant to trigger on low amperage Tig which could be a large concern.

my ears are worth the 160 dollar musicians earplugs and to me My eyes are worth the 200 dollar autodark helmet

Keith Marshall wrote:

Brent Philion

FWIW, I tried the HF helmet, but it hurt my eyes, so I bought a Miller XLiX on eBay. It cost $175, but I like it and it works for me. Every other person in my welding class stayed with their HF helmets though, so maybe my eyes are extra sensitive, or possibly my HF helmet was defective in some way.

Anyway, just another viewpoint from someone who buys most of his stuff from HF, but not this time...

Emmo

Reply to
iillyyaa

It isn't that price is the first consideration. But if all helmets meet reasonable safety and functional requirements, then one starts considering price. My ears are worth having good earmuffs and my sight is worth having good eye protection. But I find that a manual welding helmet provides the protection needed, so I spend the money saved on other toys.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of different considerations for different autodark hoods.

I wear bifocals. The only way I can comfortably and accurately weld now is to wear contacts, and then use 2.25 diopter reading glasses and an autodark hood.

I like the spring loaded ear plugs that hang around your neck when not in use. Others like the sponge plugs. I like the ease of the spring loaded ones.

I also have my preferences in safety glasses, shields, gloves, and other PPE.

It's all up to you. There is no right and wrong.

BTW, my NexGen EQC was stolen a few months ago. I might just go buy a HF or Grizzlie to see how they work, and save a few $$ for other things.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B