Rod oven from old toaster oven???

I have an old toaster oven that I was about to put out on the curb for any taker, but I got to thinking -- could I scavenge the heating rods and thermostat to use in a rod oven? (Yes, the rods and thermostat work; it's the door switch that keeps being balky, plus the door handle keeps falling off.) I thought about cutting the top off a freon gas container (I can get them free from a friend in the HVAC business) and lining it with some suitable insulation (any suggestions?).

What do you think? I have to say that I won't be doing this anytime soon, but is it worth taking the time to extract the components from the toaster oven?

Andy

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

It sounds like a good plan. Having the thermostat is most important for good storage. with just a light bulb you either have too much heat or not enough and are continually compensating. I would think just regular glass fibre insulation would be good enough. Randy

What do you think? I have to say that I won't be doing this anytime soon, but is it worth taking the time to extract the components from the toaster oven?

Andy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Yes, but caution. Many of the Chinese - and who isn't now days... don't use 'Cal rod' technology - that is the heater is conducting not insulating. So a heater should be in a tube with standoffs - isolated from the rods but heat conducting.

I'm going to use 1 or two electric range small burner - I want to say - have to measure - they are 500 watt each. That is - once hot. Metal pans don't short out on them! Nor do rods. They are just bulky and larger - but I figure mount it in a table - set the can on the stove! I think I'll run the unit with SCR / Triac - control in an enclosure. Hum - small oven with a box of rods inside... - maybe racks - Oh heck - think apartment electric oven!

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Andrew H. Wakefield wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn