Easy bake rod holding oven

When it came time to open up my box of 7018AC electrodes, I didn't want to just leave the box open, nor did I have the time to make a proper rod
holding oven. So, I concocted a quick and dirty holding oven from some items I already had on hand: a five gallon metal paint can, a light bulb, some aluminum flashing, a grounded line cord, and a porcelain lamp holder.
The line cord is connected through the bucket with a proper strain relief, but it isn't visible in the pictures as it lives underneath a half inch of insulation covered by aluminum tape. Although it is rated to 105C, I still wanted to shield it a bit from IR and the ambient temperature of the unit.
The aluminum flashing serves to block the hot spot created by the lamp, and also serves as a convective circulator, helping to even out the temperature in the unit (there is about a one-inch gap at the bottom).
With a 60 watt light bulb, the rods achieve a uniform 220F temperature, which while less than the 250F recommended by Lincoln, is still better than letting them sit at the mercy of whatever the conditions inside my house are.
The outside is covered in standard house insulation, and small insulation "pillow" is placed over the lid to help insulate the unit. At 60 watts, the unit will cost me about $3.00 a month in electricity.
Eventually I may upgrade it with a thermistor/SCR controlled heating element from a toaster oven, but for now this works well enough.
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3680/rodoven01.jpg
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9318/rodoven02.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5316/rodoven03.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/732/rodoven04.jpg
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or peephole?
Add pictures here
✖

The oven gets cold. (slap forehead now)
LLoyd
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 17, 8:44 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

If it's well enough insulated, and it's in a warm place, the outside shouldn't be appreciably warm. You shouldn't have to open it (letting heat escape) to see if it's still alive, and you'd want something that you could just glance at as you walk by.
Add pictures here
✖
rangerssuck wrote:

Two bulbs, each sized to keep the oven up to temperature ans a thermostatic control. Arrange a window in front of each, so you can see when only one bulb comes on.
✖
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Heh, indeed. Since this is a temporary measure (assuming I finish my project before the lightbulb burns out), I'm not too concerned for the bulb going out. It would be an easy matter to either hook an alarm, or hook up another lightbulb to switch on when this one burns out, but I'd build the unit properly with a heating element before I went to that amount of trouble.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/17/2010 2:05 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

You know you can get purpose made screw-in infrared ceramic heating elements at most pet stores. Not cheap but they don't burn out.
Add pictures here
✖
J. Clarke wrote:

Interesiting idea, thanks for that.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
Jon Danniken wrote:

Put a relay in series with the first bulb. When it burns out, the relay de-energises. Wire the second bulb is in series with the Com and NC contacts so it is energized when the first fails. RCA went one step further in their TP-66 Film Chain Projector. The lamps were on a motorized track that slid up & down. They had it timed so that as one bulb cooled, the other was lighting. The speed of the track allow the new bulb to be in position just as it hit full brilliance. Since it only took a couple frames of film for the changeover, people watching TV never noticed the changeover.
enough left over to pay them.
✖
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:05:57 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

Why not just run a 120v pilot indicator in line with the bulb, serially? Is the light on? OK, your oven's hot! http://www.google.com/search?q 0v+neon+indicator
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/17/2010 12:08 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
(...)

All the volts would drop across the neon pilot light, leaving nada for the bulb.
Personally, I'd buy a meat thermometer to poke through the top of the Rod Bodge.
If it is labeled "Poulder" leave it in the store, though!
--Winston
--
I pride myself on my unimportance.
(One must excel at something, or what
Winston wrote:

Well done! (ar ar ar)
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/17/2010 1:11 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Oof! :)
--Winston
Add pictures here
✖
Jon Danniken, snipped-for-privacy@yahSPAMhoo.com wrote:

You're two days early for Talk Like a Pirate Day.
--
☯☯

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:45:18 -0700, Steve Ackman

Sorry, Steve. "Aye be gar!" is pirate talk.
"AR AR AR" is Tim Allen talk. "MORE POWER!"
Go, Binford Tools!
Debbe Dunning ROCKS! http://fwd4.me/efv
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Add pictures here
✖
18:06:18 -0700, Larry Jaques, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.diversify.com wrote:

Oh, CAPIATALIZED... That I would have recognized (probably). Having just been reminded that talk like a pirate day is so close, that's what my brain saw.

Does she have something to do with Tim Allen? Or is she a pirate... (Does she shiver your timbers?)
--
☯☯

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:58:18 -0700, Steve Ackman

Thou needeth a stronger bean, my good man. When are you going to start getting a good Sumatran? Alas, I still have your green beans in the freezer. (This 1/2 conversation is sure to raise eyebrows, wot?)

Whassa "Talk Like a Pirate Day", anywho?

She was the Binford Tool Girl on "Tool Time", a show with Tim Allen.
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Jaques wrote:

She was the SECOND Binford Tool Girl on "Tool Time" Pamela Anderson was the first Binford Tool Girl.
enough left over to pay them.
✖
05:55:39 -0700, Larry Jaques, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.diversify.com wrote:

The 15K roaster's been in storage for about 18 months so I've just been roasting in the 1/2 lb. roaster what's left over... which is getting precariously low. As I run out of each varietal, I'll replace it (as much as is possible) with 30 lb. quantities. Since Sumatran isn't one of my favorites, that'll wait until the big roaster's back up, and I have customers ordering it again.

More properly, Innernational Talk Like a Pirate Day. It's the 19th. Tomorrow. You know, one of those goofy, no, ridiculous things between friends that went viral. http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

Ah, even though I watched every episode of the show, the photo didn't ring any bells.
--
☯☯

Add pictures here
✖