We're smart because we're constantly sniffing gears

I mean -- that is what cognoscenti means, yes?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It's cog-NO-scenti, they don't understand without a written explanation.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

_Ooh_, in looking at the pic, that's just _wrong_!

Those small wormies are going the wrong direction. Rotate the left hypoid 90 degrees CC and you'll see what I mean. It also appears to have an interference fit between the straight-cut gears on the side and the main shaft hypoid gear. The small hypoids are inset from the straight-cuts too much and they're not wide enough to provide clearance from the diameter of the large hypoid. And that's not to mention the lack of support for all the little gearsets. Maybe they got one of the artists who draw those liberal anti-gun ads to do this toon. (They never pay attention to detail, either.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Remember that the wormies' teeth tilt in the opposite direction on the back side, matching the center pinion teeth.

I seriously doubt that the artist drew that from memory, without a demonstration model. Try drawing a simple knot in twisted rope correctly.

The first time I saw the Torsen in Popular Science, as a kid, I couldn't wrap my brain around it. The second time, about 15 years ago while sorting old boxes, the forces driving the gears popped into place in my mental animation almost immediately.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'm still at the stage where I just _know_ that it's a ball with a shaft going in, two shafts coming out, and magic happening inside.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I've known professors who could write the formulas and solve all the forces on a bridge, but could NOT just look at it and see which members were in tension or compression as I can.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yabbut, look at the left vs the front left little hypoids. They're reversed while on the same plane.

No, not at all easy.

Rats on a wheel run the little hypoid, right?

Reply to
Larry Jaques