welding 303SS

So I gave it a try today and it worked out better than I had hoped.

And I got some pics. Full directory:

my welding cart:
posted this on SJW, and thought some here would like to see it too. ///////////

I grabbed some bad parts from the scrap bin and a piece of 308 filler rod. First, three parts that have a hexagon profile, three welds holding them together. Welds were polished with a red scotchbright wheel.

Then one of the hex parts and another part:
Then I tried some fillet welds on crossed pieces:
Some similar parts and did a butt weld without filler:
(sorry about the over exposure) Better pic:
Then I took some larger pieces and ran a butt weld:
side:
about the size on this last one, don't know how that happened.

I had put my camera away, and then thought to use the larger chunks to make a fillet weld and see how it busts with a hammer.

It broke through the bead, and showed incomplete penetration at the root, as expected.

When making the welds, I was sort of brazing with the filler, trying not to dilute the puddle with base metal.

Not for anything structural for sure. But for "Objets d'art", works just fine.

//////////

Reply to
dan

Glad it works well enough. Welds without any filler added will fail easier. The filler should have higher Nickel and Chrome than the parent metal to compensate for carbides being formed. Low carbon in the filler will also help. But 308 is probably adequate.

Dan C.

Reply to
dcaster

303 stainless is not recommended to be welded because of the high sulfur contont but it doesn;'t mean it is immpossible.

John

Reply to
John