Welding - actual metal working content!

I built a trailer years back (1996 in fact) to haul a small airplane (400 pounds). It started life as an 8' pop up camper, but was
transformed into a 12' x 7' flatbed.
After 12 years the plywood floor is rotten, and needed replacement.
So I thought I'd build side rails for it while fixing it up again. Three lengths of 1-12" and one of 2" cost me $75.
I'm using a Hobart 135 with cored wire plugged into a 30 amp 120 vac breaker with an 8 ga 12 foot extension cord.
Once in a while a bead comes out so pretty I think I've finally learned ho to do this. But the next on often glops up so bad I'm embarrassed to let it be seen.
I'm being as consistent as I can, but still can't get consistent results.
I'm blaming it on the wind.
So that's my story and I'm stickin to it!
120V flux welders have a very low duty cycle. The amperage goes down as the Tr heats up. Gloppy bead= low heat/penetration. I improved the DC on my SIP flux welder by installing a 4" muffin fan in the side of the case. Also, be sure to keep the nozzle clean and free from slag. JR Dweller in the cellar

Clean, clean, clean, no rust, no grease, no heavy mill scale, good ground, make sure the rollers are set to the right tension, make sure your feed cable isn't bent at a 90. make sure the wire has no rust or dirt. Tip is clean, Listen to the feed, making sure it stays the same speed. Check all the basics first. The Hobart should run a good bead if everything is right. gary

What Gary said. Try a new contact tip and a new spool of wire.
Gary Owens wrote:

Thanks all.
The only thing I haven't already done of the above is change the tip. But I do clean it often.
Clean clean clean! Yeppers.
The wire is shiny bright.
Careful to keep the feed hose from tight bends.
Keeping the "stinger" about he same length all the time.
Careful with the angle of attack.
Oh, it's probably not as bad as I made it sound previously.
Most of the beads are presentable.
Some are down right braggable! :)
And then one glops up for no obvious reason.
I am working outside in the drive. And the wind was pretty gusty today.
For JR:
Hmmmm...
I hadn't considered the duty cycle issue.
It never went into thermal shutdown, but I may have been pushing it a bit.
Most beads 1-1/2" long with not much time between. Just to move over and get in position again.
Well, we are scheduled for a few days of cold rainy weather. I'll pay more attention to that when I get back to it to finish up.
Thanks folks
Richard
The tip gets worn, especially if your wire is a bit rusty. Makes a poor contact, really messes up the weld. BTDT
cavelamb wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 20:53:54 -0600, cavelamb
<snip>

I've never tried flux-core, only used a gas mixture. The wind and even the shape of an object being welded can be a killer. You might be able to add some temporary wind blockers to the weld area. That is what I do to get decent results running shield gas. It really depends on the shape of the work and how much time you want to spend on it. Thin pieces of aluminum angle work nice. Clamp them down on either side of the weld area to form a channel. The really thin stuff (aluminum) can be tweaked/bent to shape a bit better. Even some thick aluminum foil maybe enough to do the job for you. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.
Try paying a bit of attention to the puddle where it is cooling down. Sometimes you can see, get some ideas about what is going wrong by watching that area. A few more eyeballs and an extra brain or two to process all the input would help too ;-)
I welded up lots of nasty, oily, dirty, painted, rusty... stuff for my Dad in the past. No real problem getting a nice bead, but you'll get tons of splatter. The torch tip area has to be cleaned a lot too...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

It's raining today with icicles hanging from the trees. NOT a normal condition for here.
The aft post on my trailer is 3" wide for the tail lights. these are made by butt welding two pieces of angle together. The right side is done, so I thought I'd stitch up the left one in the table in the shop.
I couldn't ask for any prettier bead with flux wire!
I think it was the wind.
So I'm sticking to that story!
Richard

I am currently learning to weld on my own with a cheap flux wire welder from harbor freight.
I was having no end of trouble getting a good consistent bead as well; I figured I was just taking a while to learn how to weld.
I used up most of the 1lb spool that came with it before I realized the feed mechanism was the issue. I adjusted the tension of the feed roller and spool spindle and immediately produced the best weld I had all week.
PS: I am looking for some good starter welding projects, anyone got any ideas? I have a drill press, chop saw, and angle grinder but no other machine tools ( lathe, mill, shaper, etc.)
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:51:52 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Work bench, storage racks, and of course...the obligitory welding cart
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 00:03:44 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch

The Lincoln website has several books of welding plans for projects at ten bucks a pop (+ UPS), Stephen. (Arc Welded Projects volumes II, III, and IV.) www.lincolnelectric.com click on the 'Books/DVDs/...' menu item in the Quicklinks dropdown.
http://www.zena.net/htdocs/welders/projects.shtml is the first link in a long list (368,000) when I Googled "free welding projects."
-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett
    --If ya get reeeally bored here's a list with some stuff I've done with my welder scattered thru it: http://www.nmpproducts.com/jigs.htm
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Do us a favor and rescue
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a doggie or three...
steamer wrote:

Fascinating web site, Ed. You really need professional help!

    --Superchicken: "Fred I've got super vision"     --Fred: "If you had supervision you wouldn't be doing this!"     --Heh.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Do us a favor and rescue
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a doggie or three...
steamer wrote:

For those folks who didn't waste their yout in front of the teevee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Chicken
IIRC:
FRED: "You could use your Super-Vision, Super!" SUPERCHICKEN: "Nonsense, Fred. If I had any supervision, I wouldn't be walking around in my underwear."
Fourty-one years later, that line still makes me smile.
Variation: http://www.megawavs.com/play.aspx?id 599
Sing With Super! (Loads S L O W L Y) http://www.megawavs.com/play.aspx?id 565
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Super Chicken? I thought that was Don Tyson!!!
cavelamb wrote: (...)

Both are very plucky.
--Winston
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Try posting this to the sci.engr.joining.welding NG - you'll get a lot of good ideas there, both for project ideas and tips/tricks. <grin>
You'll encounter some of the same folks there as here plus quite a few highly experienced weldors including at least one exceptional Welding Instructor.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Here's the best idea that I have: until you're good at this don't make anything that anyone's safety depends upon. E.g., roof staging, car trailer. A beginner's MIG welds can look really great & be absolutely worthless as far as holding stuff together. This is the classic MIG contradiction. There is pretty much unanimous opinion on this.
Drill press, chop saw, and angle grinder is a great combination for welding projects. That's all it took for my power wagon: http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/PowerWagon.pdf
HTH & have fun, Bob