Welding advice needed

1948 Pontiac seat frame. Break is precisely at a factory weld. Can only get to about 50-60% of the t ubing. Have acetylene, MIG and TIG. Lousy at TIG. Best way to reinforce joint? 1/4"x1/8" splines? Form a partial sleeve (wrap while sleeve red hot) around area? Slide solid steel bar into joint an weld the junction? Thanks! All advice appreciated.
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

BTW, tubing is around 1" OD.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
1948 Pontiac seat frame. Break is precisely at a factory weld. Can only get to about 50-60% of the tubing. Have acetylene, MIG and TIG. Lousy at TIG. Best way to reinforce joint? 1/4"x1/8" splines? Form a partial sleeve (wrap while sleeve red hot) around area? Slide solid steel bar into joint an weld the junction? Thanks! All advice appreciated.

Jim Wilkins

Solid steel bar inside tube and PLUG weld it. If the ends of the broken tube cannot be moved far enough apart (axially), drill the plug holes first & use them to manipulates the rod.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Bob, thank you!

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Yeah, the last option sounds best to me. Standard or turned-down rod/bar stock. Drill the tubing and put weld beads between the frame tube and rod. Grind and MIG or braze there and in the broken spot welds. Or use this to _practice_ your TIG.

Remove the cover before working on it. I've seen so many things damaged by people thinking "I'll save time if I just hold this out of the way, protected by cardboard." just before something melts.

My, wasn't that a pretty (urk) color they used?

- I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body. Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money identity disorder. --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thank you Larry!

Reply to